books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

What the Senate Could Have Read Instead of the Tax Bill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

The Senate approved a tax bill in hopes to cut taxes on businesses. This bill is a big win for most of the rich, the President being namely one himself. 80 percent of millionaires would owe less taxes. It keeps seven tax brackets, but cuts rates at each level, according to The Washington Post. Lots of deduction taxes will be taken away, such as for losses from a fire to even moving expenses.

The bill would also raise the deficit by $1 trillion.

And plans unrelated to taxes were included in this bill. Individual health insurance mandate would go away. Drilling in Alaska’s National Wildlife Refuse would become legal.

The bill ended up being 479-pages long, and they only had seven hours to read it.

So here are some things Senate could’ve read at the same length instead of the tax bill.

1. Moby Dick by Herman Melville (822 pages)
  2. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (545 pages)
  3. The Iliad by Homer (560 pages)
  4. Twilight by Stephanie Meyers (544 pages)
  5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling (636 pages)
  6. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling (766 pages)
  7. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling (607 pages)
  8. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling (607 pages)
  9. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (584 pages)
  10. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr (544 pages)
Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.
Alexis is a student at Clark University studying Spanish and Political Science. When she's not at the library you can find her watching Netflix (probably Bones or The Office), on the elliptical, on KJP's instagram, or reading the news. She's passionate about politics, travel, and fashion. Her goals for the future include getting a job after graduation and trying to live the ideal New England lifestyle. Alexis is very excited to be a new Campus Correspondent along with Annabelle Merlin. HCXO!