Unpacking the Packing Dilemma: Essentials for Any Trip Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Most people feel like they are pretty terrible at packing. Some bring everything they have in order to be prepared for any situation. Others forget all the essentials, in an effort to pack light. While packing for my time in Dublin, Ireland this past summer I had trouble deciding what was most important that I bring. For all of the students planning on heading abroad next semester, I created a list of things you shouldn’t forget.

1. Watch

Due to the difficulty of adjusting to time differences it’s always helpful to have a personal watch. Just don’t forget to adjust it once you get where you are going.

2. Rain jacket 

It is important to bring layers in general, but you’ll be thanking yourself later when you get caught in a rainstorm and you have your jacket with you.  It is also a good layer for a windy day. 

3. Scarf

A scarf is a nice way to add some warmth and color to any outfit. It is a travel essential because you never know when the temperature is going to cool down.

4. Jeans

Bringing your favorite pair of jeans is a must, although you can most likely buy jeans wherever you go it’s hard to find a pair that fit you just right.

5. Comfortable walking shoes

Traveling involves a lot of walking, so be sure to pack some shoes that you wouldn’t mind walking around all day in. 

6. Backpack for weekend trips

As far as luggage it’s always best to make sure you can carry what you’re bringing.  I found that an expandable backpack was great for a carry-on as well as day to day use and weekend trips. 

7. Outlet Adaptor

This is great to get before you go, although you can get them abroad the prices are often inflated on this kind of essential travel item. 

8. Medicine/contacts

Bring your prescription medicine with you in your carry-on if possible. It is important to contact your doctor to make sure you can get enough of any prescription meds, same goes for contacts. 

9. Travel documents (tickets, passport, ID)

Although this may seem obvious it is important to remember your identification and tickets and keep them handy, but safe when traveling. 

10. Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) Credit Card Shield

This is a great get, as it’s not that expensive and saves you the trouble of getting your credit card info stolen via scanners. This doesn’t protect from all credit card theft, so be wary about where you are using your card, and check on your banks statements.

Hopefully this list forgoes some of the anxiety that comes with packing for a big trip. Remember that you can always buy things when you get there, so don’t stress if you forget something. Safe travels!

Isabelle is a student at Clark University, who has declared as a Cultural Studies and Communications major and a minor in sociology. She is a yoga instructor at Clark, as well as the manager for the Clark Field Hockey team. She has a deep love for sea turtles, the free people Instagram account, and card making. When she isn’t procrastinating school work she can be found on the sidelines of Clark athletics events, or hanging out with friends and family. Isabelle is really excited to be a contributing member of the Her Campus team.