My name is Joy and I am a gourmand, there I said it. In all honesty, I love trying new cultural foods and treats from all over the world. Often I will find someone who will voluntarily indulge in taste tests with me. Therefore I have decided to share some places I have visited during my freshmen year at Clark University.
1. Bollywood Grill – This is hands down my favorite Indian Restaurant. It is located in Shrewsbury, Ma which you can get to by using a ZipCar, driving yourself or finding a friend who has a car on campus. I love the chicken saag with all my heart, high recommend trying it. Everything from the plates to the restaurant set up makes you feel as though you have teleported to a different continent. The chefs and staff are very friendly and kind.
2. IKrave – Ikrave has become a regular workplace to bang out all those assignments and stay focused. Located less than a mile away from Clark so you walk or take the Escort service provided. There are so many different coffee flavors to choose from and delicious treats as well. I love mixing Twixie, Birthday Cake and Samoa. The music is soothing to listen to and a great place to head to even if it is just to meet a friend.
3. Fatima’s Cafe
– Fatima’s Cafe offers a variety of East African foods and pastries. Located off campus, you can still find a way to get there because it will be 100% worth it. Highly recommend samosas and chapati’s alongside your meal. The food is freshly cooked and comes out hot and ready for you to partake in. The owner is such a friendly man and so kind- hearted.
4. Hacienda Don Juan – Mhmm, oh yes! If you are in the mood for some Salvadorian food, head over to Hacienda Don Juan. Located right across the street from Clark’s campus facing ASEC, it is less than a five minute walk. There is such richness in the flavors used within each dish that it will have you wanting more. Try the pupusas and the shrimp tomato steak dish when you go!
5. YoWay Cafe & Frozen Yogurt – This is a popular hangout spot for some Clarkies. It is great for Milk Tea, frozen yogurt and many other deserts. I love the Taro Milk Tea with Boba. Their birthday cake batter is so delicious and there is plenty of space if you want to have a group get together. The staff is friendly, highly recommend if you are craving a sweet treat.