TIME’s Reader’s Poll for Person of the Year Results Are In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

The results are in and Korean boy band BTS has won the online reader’s poll for TIME’s Person fo the Year.

The K-Pop band includes seven members: RM, Jin, Suga, J-Hope, Jimin, V, and Jung Kook.

BTS, or the Bangtan Boys, debuted in 2013 with its single “No More Dream.”

At the beginning of the year, BTS received their first Double Platinum certification from the RIAJ for their “Mic Drop/DNA/Crystal Snow” single. They won the Billboard Music Award for Top Social Artist in May, making them the only Korean artist to be nominated for and win the award two years in a row. 

According to StubHub, BTS was one of 2018’s best selling concerts in world, only second to Ed Sheeran.

The band was featured on TIME Magazine’s global edition cover in October, naming them the “Next Generation’s Leaders.”

The boy band beat many politicians, world leaders, and artists. Planet Earth narrowly lost by .12%.  The Thai cave divers finished in third.

Each year, TIME selects the most influential person of the year. TIME’s final Person of the Year will be chosen by the editors and will be revealed on the 11th.

Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.