Things No One Tell You About Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Yes, this is for all the incoming college freshmen, and those who are currently freshmen and can relate. Thankfully, I have older sisters who are either in college or have graduated and therefore have given some of this advice. You may think I am being dramatic and trying to scare you, but this is legit. But of course take what you will from this and remember it when it happens to you. So it here goes…

Lack sense of direction

You may come into college with an exact idea of what you want to be and for some that plan might play out. But in common cases you may decide the career or major you intended to potentially graduate with is actually not the right fit for you.

Transferring to a different college during the first week of college may cross your mind. You may feel as though the college you are attending is not the right fit but make you differentiate the feeling of being home-sick from feeling lost.

You will experience various emotions throughout the year but especially during the first month of college. It will a rollercoaster of emotions whether it is happiness then sadness or happiness then joy, etc. Remember your hometown friends and family are phone call or text away. Also join clubs and meet new people to help you take your mind off of homesickness.

Sleepless nights

There will be many of these trust me. Sometimes staying up to write that paper because you did not have time to plan out your schedule ahead of time. Which reminds me: get a planner! It will save you when you are given assignments with due dates. If planners are not your jazz, figure out an organization technique that works for you

Mental Health

Self-care for those rough nights, bad grade on your essay or assignment are very important. You should always aim for your best work but you may be having a bad day when taking a test and the grade you receive is not what you expected after studying all night.

Know your campus resources for mental health, find a trusted adult, go to your campus personal growth center to seek help. Do not be afraid to admit you need help in any way. Everyone around you is dealing with a personal battle, you are not alone. Realize no one’s life is perfect and those who you show otherwise are just good at faking it.

Academics

Your grades do not define you as a person (enough said)

Put academics first, make them a priority as you should before accepting a invite to that party everyone is going to.

Find a study place which works for you

Complete assignments as soon as you get them so you do not have so much to do the night before

Get to know your professors, GO TO THEIR OFFICE HOURS ( for questions, concerns, etc)

Join a study group. When you study with others you may see things differently from how you originally saw them before. Someone in the group may help you become more clear on a topic you were having trouble with, vice versa. Reviewing with peers could be beneficial in so many ways.  

Joy is a senior at Clark University majoring in Management on a data analytics and marketing track with a minor in Community Youth and Education Studies. She loves going on road trips and spending time with family and friends. She enjoys trying various cultural cuisines (Indian food is her favorite **Chicken saag with a side of naan please**) and has an obsession with going to Morocco.
Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.