To Swipe Left or Right: What to Avoid on Tinder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

A common topic of discussion among collegiettes recently has been Tinder. Originally, I thought it was just a way to meet new people or to go on dates with them but have recently been talking to some guys and girls about things they like and dislike about the popular app. Unsurprisingly, there are lots of things that many people dislike. Here is a complete list of things to be aware of if you want to increase your number of matches on Tinder.

Mirror Selfies: If you have not mastered the front facing camera yet you should get on that. And guys, shirtless selfies are very middle school.

Group Photos: If you are in a group in every picture and someone can’t tell which one is you, it’s a huge swipe left.

Alcohol: If you’re old enough to have alcohol, you are old enough to know it shouldn’t be in every picture. Flaunting alcohol in photos is a huge turn off.

Jobs: Believe it or not, people do look at where it says you go to college or what your job is. If it reads McDonald’s cashier or janitor, expect a swipe left. People like it when their matches have promising futures.

Pictures from High School: Delete those old prom and graduation photos. Odds are you don’t look like that anymore and should probably give up the high school hall of fame mentality. 

Other things that girls said they didn’t like in guys’ profiles were weird mustaches, pictures with hot girls and looking different in every photo, to name a few. For the guys, they didn’t like profiles of girls that had too much makeup on, were showing too much cleavage or wearing super short outfits or had photos with other hot guys. 

What are your least favorite things to see on Tinder? Let us know in the comments!

Hello everyone, my name is Kassie and I'm a Sophomore at Clark University. I am currently a double major in Psychology and Art. However, I am looking to do a fifth year Masters program in Education. My final goal is to become either an art teacher or an art therapist.When I'm not in Worcester, Ma I reside in Connecticut. In my spare time I hangout with my friends, paint, knit, or watch movies.
Kelly is a student at Clark University pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Cultural Studies and Communications with a minor in Business Management. When Kelly is not in class, you can find her working in the Education Department at The Hanover Theatre, teaching Zumba classes and dancing her heart out with Clark University's Dance Society. Her favorite color is pink (especially Her Campus pink!) and she loves everything monogrammed. Kelly enjoys spending time with her friends, family, boyfriend, and two adorable cats. Kelly is thrilled to be a new Campus Correspondent alongside one of her best friends, Ciara Kilian. Follow along with her on Instagram and Twitter @kellrour HCXO!