Sweethearts’ Conversation Hearts Are Not Here For Valentine’s Day 2019

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

For the first time in 153 years, Valentine’s Day is going to be absent of those sugary-conversation-hearts.

Sweetheart’s boxes of chalky, hard-to-bite-into hearts with sweet sayings typed on it will not be sold this year, as Necco went bankrupt and Spangler Candy Company acquired the rights to the treat.

“We wish we could have Sweethearts out for the 2019 Valentine season, but it’s just not possible,” Kirk Vashaw, Spangler chairmen and CEA said to ABC News. “We are committed to making sure these brands meet consumer expectations when they re-enter the market. Doing it right takes time.”

Spangler released a graphic announcing this year’s absence of the candy with three hearts: “Miss U 2,” “Wait 4 Me,” and “Back Soon.”

Sayings like “Be Mine,” “XOXO,” “Soul Mate,” and “Cutie Pie” will have to either be said in person or texted this year.

Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.