stART on the Street 2016 Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Last weekend, stART on the Street took over Park Avenue for one of New England’s largest street art festivals. Each year the event gets better and better with more vendors, food and entertainment than the last year. If you missed it, don’t worry! We’ve put together a list of the highlights from the day that will make you feel like you were there.

Food: In addition to all the art and entertainment, there was incredible food at this year’s stART on the Street. Our favorites were the falafel from the popular Shrewsbury Street restaurant, Flying Rhino Cafe & Watering Hole and, of course, the fried dough. Other notable foods were fried cheesecake bites, wood-fired pizza from Anzio’s and the ever popular frozen banana tent.

Entertainment: Throughout the day, various bands played all along the street. Some performed on the mainstage located in Elm Park and some set up in other locations along the route. There were also individual musicians set up in front of some stores, so there was a plethora of music to cater to all ears. There were also stilt walkers roaming around and other street performers including a unicyclist, jousters and an aerialist. Various dance schools gave demonstrations next to St. Cyr Salon and Spa as well.

Art: This year’s vendors were some of the most eclectic and high quality the fair has ever had. From photographers selling prints to farms selling goat milk soap products, there really was something for everyone. Some of the most incredible pieces available included intricate sea glass art and pottery designed to look as though it was illustrated by hand. Other cool pieces were handmade mermaid tail blankets, old license plates repurposed as decorations and lamps made from liquor bottles.

All in all, this year’s stART on the Street did not disappoint! If you didn’t make it this year, try to go at least once before your Clark career is over. It truly is one of Worcester’s best events throughout the year and has only gotten better over time.

Kelly is a student at Clark University pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Cultural Studies and Communications with a minor in Business Management. When Kelly is not in class, you can find her working in the Education Department at The Hanover Theatre, teaching Zumba classes and dancing her heart out with Clark University's Dance Society. Her favorite color is pink (especially Her Campus pink!) and she loves everything monogrammed. Kelly enjoys spending time with her friends, family, boyfriend, and two adorable cats. Kelly is thrilled to be a new Campus Correspondent alongside one of her best friends, Ciara Kilian. Follow along with her on Instagram and Twitter @kellrour HCXO!