This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

It was really hard for me to stop adding to this list, as I’m sure you can tell by its length. I definitely believe that music is food for the soul, and once I start listening to a few good songs I realize how hungry I am. I cannot take credit for discovering all of these on my own, there’s been a lot of influence from my sister and a few friends. I tried to include a range of moods in this list. For example, “Where’d All the Time Go?” by Dr. Dog is pretty melancholy, “Sunny” by Boney M. is a song I cannot sit still for, and “Time Is Now” by Moloko is inspiring. 

I started off with some lonely, searching songs. Then I moved into some songs about love because you can’t avoid them. Next I added songs that make me think of change both literally (Tame Impala’s “Yes I’m Changing”) and atmospherically. Lastly, I wanted to end with some songs that I love dancing to and singing along with (although let’s face it – I sing along to all of these because it’s fun, even if just humming passionately along with instrumentals). 

As you might see from this playlist, I tend to jump between genres when it comes to music, otherwise I get bored. I know music taste is subjective, but I hope you enjoy at least some of these songs as much as I do. During this crazy time (or any time really), it’s nice to listen to music to make a mandatory or tedious task less boring, or maybe to take half an hour to just lie down, turn the volume up, and savor each beat. 

1. “I Can’t Stand the Rain” by Ann Peebles
  2. “Where’d All the Time Go?” by Dr. Dog
  3. “Arrow Through Me” by Wings
  4. “Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood” by Nina Simone
  5. “Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)” by Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings
  6. “Help!” by The Beatles
  7. “Fortress” by Pinback
  8. “Are You Bored Yet? (feat. Clairo)” by Wallows and Clairo
  9. “Heart of Gold” by Neil Young
  10. “The Chain” by Fleetwood Mac
  11. “Remember My Name” by Mitski
  12. “Dreams” by Fleetwood Mac
  13. “I Don’t Know” by Beastie Boys
  14. “Snow Flower” by Ananda Shankar
  15. “Washing Machine Heart” by Mitski
  16. “I Get Along Without You Very Well (Except Sometimes)” by Chet Baker
  17. “One Day” by Sharon Van Etten
  18. “Didn’t I” by Darondo
  19. “Is It Any Wonder?” by Durand Jones & The Indications
  20. “Harvest Moon” by Neil Young
  21. “What You Won’t Do for Love” by Bobby Caldwell
  22. “Love Has Come Around” by Donald Byrd
  23. “Lovers Rock” by TV Girl
  24. “Anchin Kfu Ayinkash” by Hailu Mergia and Dahlak Band
  25. “Prospect Hummer” by Animal Collective
  26. “Landslide” by Beirut
  27. “Yes I’m Changing” by Tame Impala
  28. “Starchild – Edit Album Version” by Level 42
  29. “Cloudbusting” by Kate Bush
  30. “Time Is Now” by Moloko
  31. “Don’t Stop Me Now” by Queen
  32. “Boogie Nights” by Heatwave
  33. “Embuwa Bey Lamitu” by Hailu Mergia and Dahlak Band
  34. “Sunny” by Boney M.
  35. “Comb My Hair” by Pretty Boy Aaron, Bruhnice, and Tesia
  36. “Chala Vahi Des” by Shye Ben Tzur, Jonny Greenwood, and The Rajasthan Express
I am a first-year at Clark University and am undecided on a major. The only plans I currently have are to travel (and one day get a dog).
Olga is a senior at Clark University studying psychology and marketing. She's got a serious coffee addiction and a passion for writing.