This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

After watching the hype on TikTok and hearing reviews from friends and family, I hopped on the bandwagon. If it is was SkinbyHyram approved then it HAD to work, right? Wrong. Spoiler alert the following products did not work out for me. To preface, some products work for some and not for others. I will have to continue searching for the best products to tackle my skincare needs. My goal was to eliminate hyperpigmentation, acne scarring, and acne spots. I would definitely add sunscreen to the routine because when applying chemicals, harsh or not, it is best to be safe and prepare for sun exposure which can cause darker spots. These are the products that did not work for me, their prices, and their descriptions: 

-”Alpha Arbutin 2% + HA from The Ordinary contains a 2% concentration of alpha-arbutin to reduce the look of dark spots and uneven tone. It is supported with a next-generation form of hyaluronic acid for enhanced delivery”.  ($8.90)

-100% Cold Pressed RoseHip Seed Oil from The Ordinary is rich in pro-vitamin A and has been shown to reduce signs of aging while providing benefits for skin hydration and barrier function support. (9.80)

-Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution from The Ordinary is an exfoliating toning solution with 7% glycolic acid, amino acids, aloe vera, ginseng, and Tasmanian pepper berry. This low-viscosity, water-based toning solution is great for those looking for solutions for textural irregularities/dullness. (8.70)

-Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% from The Ordinary is rich in Niacinamide and zinc PCA reduces signs of congestion while balancing visible sebum activity. Niacinamide has also been shown to offer brightening benefits. (5.90)

-Azelaic Acid Suspension 10% from The Ordinary is rich in azelaic acid which brightens the skin tone while visibly improving uneven skin texture and reducing signs of congestion. It is a multi-functional ingredient that offers antioxidant support. (7.90)

-AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution from The Ordinary is an exfoliating facial with alpha-hydroxy and beta-hydroxy acids. This water-based rinse-off treatment is ideal for experienced users of exfoliating acids looking for solutions for textural irregularities/ dullness/ signs of congested pores. This product has helped many people but some POC has reported that their skin has gotten worse and that the ingredients are not meant for POC to use. Do with that information what you will.  (7.20)

-Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA 2% from The Ordinary is a water-free, silicone-free, suspension of 23% pure L-ascorbic acid. This water-free suspension with a powdery finish is great for those looking for solutions for uneven tone/signs of aging / antioxidant support. (5.80) 

I like The Ordinary brand because it is cruelty-free, vegan, does not oil, parabens, and sulfates.  It also is relatively affordable compared to other skincare brands. Even though it did not work out for me, I would still recommend it because it may work for you. There is a regime that shows you how to layer the products for the best results.

Here is the link: www.deciemchatroom.com › how-to-layer-the-ordinary. 

I will try to switch up the routine and try out each product individually and see if there is a change.

Joy is a senior at Clark University majoring in Management on a data analytics and marketing track with a minor in Community Youth and Education Studies. She loves going on road trips and spending time with family and friends. She enjoys trying various cultural cuisines (Indian food is her favorite **Chicken saag with a side of naan please**) and has an obsession with going to Morocco.