Muslim Women’s Day: What It Means To One Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Today is Muslim Women’s Day, a day to celebrate Muslim women and let their voices be heard. This is the second annual celebration of this day. It was created last year by MuslimGirl, which was started by New-Jersey-born Amani Al-Khatahbeh.

To celebrate this day, Her Campus Clark has interviewed one Muslim student, who has asked to stay anonymous. Here’s the interview:

Q: What does being Muslim mean to you?

A: Being a Muslim (to me) entails believing in one God (Allah) and being humble and tolerant of others. Being open-minded and understanding that you should help the poor/needy and understanding and following the five pillars of Islam.

Q: Have you faced any specific difficulties in life because you are Muslim? Like what?

A: Being a Muslim in America has definitely been troublesome because of the way we are portrayed in media. With the negative connotations of being Muslim and the affiliation with different terrorist groups, there is the assumption that Muslims are terrorists. (This was especially prevalent during the time of Osama and 9/11). 

Q: How do feminism and Islam intersect in your life?

A: Traditionally, Muslim women are inferior to men and are done what they are told. They do not voice their opinions or stand up for what they believe in. Because of modern media and what is going on, many more Muslim females are able to voice the way they feel and can actively take charge in the ideas they believe in. Sometimes there are very traditional and conservative views that force me (because I can’t speak for everyone obviously) to break boundaries and actively stand up for what I believe and be part of the change instead of doing nothing. 

Q: Have you ever questioned feminism because of your Muslim teachings?

A: No, I stand up for what I believe in and I believe that even if it does not go hand in hand with being a Muslim then I am not being me. (does that make sense) I want to be true to myself and not be pressured into following something that I do not believe in. (basically what im trying to say is im going to follow my heart and stand up for what I believe in instead of keeping quiet)

Q: What does Muslim Women’s Day mean to you?

A: A misrepresented minority group being represented the correct way as a strong and amazing group of women around the world who are being appreciated for who they are. (We are being recognized for who we are because people deserve to know amazing muslim women who are not shown in the media often)

Q: Is it easy for you to live as a feminist Muslim?

A: I wouldn’t use the word easy because sometimes the two clash, but I will stand up for what I believe in no matter what so even if it does not agree with being a Muslim, I will still voice my opinions because I have that right

Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.