Meet Macy: Making Moves On and Off the Field

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Name: Macy GolmanYear: 2019Major: PsychologyHometown: Dallas, TexasActivities: Varsity soccerRelationship Status: in a relationshipLucky Number: 15Favorite Season: SummerFavorite Foods: Sushi, steak and MexicanFavorite Movie: She’s the Man

Her Campus: What made you choose Clark?Macy Golman: “I did a lot of soccer showcases and knew I wanted a small liberal arts college up here, so I started talking with the soccer coach and came for a visit and just kind of knew I wanted to come here.”

HC: What was your first impression of Clark?MG: “It was beautiful; I loved the architecture of everything, and I really loved the big green. The Northeast is different from Texas, and I think it’s really beautiful up here; Clark looks like a New England school.”

HC: What are you most excited for this year?MG: “I’m excited to be own my own. I chose a school far away from home for a reason, and I’m also really excited to play soccer and make new friends. I haven’t really seen snow before so I’m excited for that and a change from Texas.”

HC: What are you least excited for this year?MG: “I choose to be far away from home but, at the same time, I’m also nervous of getting homesick; it will still be hard.”

HC: Who’s your favorite person you’ve met at Clark so far?MG: “Nikki Feinberg; she’s on the soccer team and also from Texas. We met and just have gotten along really well.”

HC: What First-Year Intensive are you taking and why?MG: “Healthy Cities. My mom works in public health, so I thought the class would be interesting.”

HC: If you could spend time in any place, where would it be?MG: “My family’s summer house in Maine.  Having been to Maine and up here before, it was another reason why I wanted to come to school in New England.”

HC: Do you have any preconceived notions of college?MG: “Kind of. Some of the girls on the team have talked about gaining the ‘Freshman 15,’ but I think that because I’ve always played soccer and been healthy, I won’t have a hard time with that. I’m also not really into partying and drinking, and I know that that can be unhealthy.”

HC: How do you plan to stay on track this year?MG: “Through high school I played both club soccer and for my school team and my school had a dual curriculum so I took 10 classes. I’m used to balancing a lot at once, so I plan to just keep focused on my school work and soccer before hanging out with friends.”

HC: Are you happy with your decision to come to Clark so far?MG: “Yes, definitely. I thought I was going to be more homesick but so far I’ve been fine.”

HC: Tell me something about yourself you haven’t yet.MG: “I went to the World Cup this summer and traveled out of the country for the first time. I went on a trip called March of the Living and visited Poland and then Israel, then went on family vacation to Punta Cana, the World Cup, played some soccer, went to Maine, and now I’m here.”  

Emily is an undergraduate student at Clark University studying Political Science with a subfield in International Relations and pursuing a minor in education. On campus she works for the ITS Help Desk and volunteers whenever she can. Outside of school life, Emily enjoys running, reading, writing for Her Campus, and spending time outside whenever possible. She loves indie music, Game of Thrones, House of Cards, and spending time with her friends and family. Emily is very happy and excited to be a part of Her Campus and connect with others!