This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

On Monday March 9, Prime Minister of Italy Giusseppe Conte, announced lockdown measures to be extended to the entire country of 60 million people. Conte stated that the measure will be in effect starting Tuesday and be in place until April 3. 

Italy has the largest number of cases of coronavirus in Europe, with 9,172 reported so far. Prior to Monday, lockdown was restricted to only the northern parts of the country, including the region of Lombardy. BBC News reports, “Italy’s coronavirus death toll jumped on Monday by 97 to 463. It is the worst-hit country after China.”

The Italian government has responded to the intense situation with strong restrictions aimed to ease the spreading infection and multiplying cases of COVID-19. 

Large public gatherings and sporting events have been cancelled. Schools and universities are closed. Public transportation is still running but “people would have to explain why they were travelling, and any movements and gatherings outside those permitted would not be allowed,” Buzzfeed reported. Movements are restricted to work and emergencies.

Communities and governments are taking strong precautions and preparing for the continued spread of COVID-19. To view the CDC’s tips on prevention, click here

While the situation back in the United States is not as severe, cases continue to grow. Dr. Jeremy Faust from Brigham and Women’s in Boston stated, “Kids and adults have done extremely well in terms of recovery so far… It’s so critical that we do not waste resources among the young and healthy and that we really focus on the areas where this might really get out of control.”

It is concerning to watch countries such as Italy to go into complete lockdown, wondering if things will progress to that level in your own community. However, mass hysteria is unproductive and will drain resources as Dr. Faust mentions. Take precautions, listen to CDC guidelines and travel recommendations. 

Olga is a senior at Clark University studying psychology and marketing. She's got a serious coffee addiction and a passion for writing.