Female Force Comics Are A Must Read This Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

TidalWave Production is re-releasing its Female Force comic books and your favorite empowering women are included.

Darren G. Davis, publisher at TidalWave, is the mastermind behind this. Female Force is a biographical comic book series that profiles a different woman in each issue.

“We wanted to showcase the strong women in today’s society that have inspired generation and shaped the culture of today,” Davis said. “Kids and adults alike can look up to these women as great role models.”

The series started around the 2008 primary elections, when Davis recognized the difference in which Hillary Clinton and Sarah Palin were being portrayed. Davis, then, focused on their achievements rather than their “attractiveness.”

Female Force has profiled inspirational women in many industries, including Madonna, Martha Stewart, and J.K. Rowling.

Darren Davis

The series not only highlights each woman’s achievement, but it also fund-raises for causes pertinent to each subject. Ellen DeGeneres’s issue, for example, donated money to the Los Angeles Zoo, and Olivia Newton-John’s promoted breast cancer awareness.

Female Force is my first love because I feel it makes a difference,” Davis said. “We always tell the stories in a positive light and how the subjects learned from the difficulty. It shows people hey can be anything they want to be and empowers them.”

Darren Davis

The books will be released in both print and digital. Over sixty are available.

“It is important that readers see themselves in the characters,” Davis said. “For too long, the comic book business was focused on the male power fantasy.”

Header: Darren Davis

Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.