Culture > News

Federal Judge Blocked Mississippi’s Proposed Abortion Law, Deemed Unconstitutional

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Mississippi proposed a law banning abortions past 15 weeks. Governor Bryant of Mississippi signed in the Gestational Age Act back in March. On November 20 federal Judge Carlton W. Reeves blocked the law, deeming it unconstitutional.

Reeves has scathing words for the attempted legislation, “The state chose to pass a law it knew was unconstitutional to endorse a decades long campaign, fueled by national interest groups, to ask the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade

He also pointed to Mississippi’s misguided interests in attempts of protecting children. “Its leaders are proud to challenge Roe but choose not to lift a finger to address the tragedies lurking on the other side of the delivery room, such as high infant and maternal mortality rates”

The overruling is a great feat, but Mississippi continues to have some of the strictest abortion laws in the country. The state has only one abortion clinic, and extensive requirements. There is a 24 hour wait period, parents are required to be notified, the woman must have received counseling, and must undergo an ultrasound and heart tone procedure. The fight for women’s rights has a long way to go.

Olga is a senior at Clark University studying psychology and marketing. She's got a serious coffee addiction and a passion for writing.
Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.