Eggs
Eggs
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

The Egg That Broke Instagram

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

A picture of a brown egg is now the most popular image on Instagram, breaking Kylie Jenner’s previous record.

Created 13 days ago, @world_record_egg was purely made to beat “the current world record held by Kylie Jenner (18 million)!”

And it did just that, with currently over 47 million likes.

With. Just. One. Photo.

“If I were them, my next post would be an ad,” said Darren Lachtman, who sold his social media talent agency called Niche to Twitter in 2015. “They hit the lottery and they got a billboard in Times Square for free on Instagram. What are they going to do with it?”

Lachtman thinks the account could make as much as $250,000 to run a single ad to all of its followers.

The account’s owner is still anonymous.

Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.