Style

Edda Gimnes Accuses Moschino: “Imitation is the Greatest Form of Flattery”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Edda Gimnes, an up-and-coming Norwegian designer, took to her Instagram on September 21 to speak up against Moschino’s latest runway show. The post contained four side by side pictures of Gimnes’s work of her Spring Summer 2016 and 2017 collection, and Moschino’s recent Spring Summer 2019 show in Milan. Both collections featured scribble print clothing, making the models appear like sketches. She continued to call out Jeremy Scott, Moschino’s creative director, via Instagram for stealing her design ideas.

Left: Moschino’s design Right: Edda Grimne’s design Photo: Eamonn M. McCormack/Getty Images

“It is disheartening to see, after having a meeting with someone from Moschino in New York in November last year. showing this person absolutely ALL my work and my original sketchbooks and ideas. Seeing the Moschino show yesterday makes me so sad and I feel so hurt that someone has, the way it looks to me, unquestionably used my SS16 and SS17 collections as inspiration without granting me any credit.” Gimnes captioned the photos.

Many sympathetic artists responded in support of Gimnes online, speaking of the difficulties in the creative world and the power dynamics between large brands and small artists. The line between inspiration and plagiarism is very thin.

Jeremy Scott responded to the accusations on September 25 in a comment via Instagram, in all caps.

“I’ve read your post and want to assure you that you are incorrect in your accusations. I’ve posted in my stories many references from Moschino archives going back to the 1980s and showed not only my own work that has had scribble art works. I’ve also posted my inspirations for this Moschino collection which is about the creation of fashion and the idea of bringing a fashion sketch alive as a final garment. I hope you will take the time to look and hopefully understand better. I wish you all the success and accolades you deserve. With warmth Jeremy.”

Olga is a senior at Clark University studying psychology and marketing. She's got a serious coffee addiction and a passion for writing.
Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.