DIY Painted Pumpkins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Carving pumpkins is so fun but also so messy.  Jack-o-lanterns aren’t always the most the practical for dorm life, especially because we can’t have candles.  If you don’t want to deal with the mess, we have a jack-o-lantern alternative for you! 

Source

Glow in the dark pumpkins or even regular painted pumpkins are a really cute way to decorate for Halloween without the hassle of carving pumpkins.  They’re super easy to make! 

What you need:

• Pumpkins! 
  • White or light color paint to use as a basecoat
  • Decorative puffy paint

You can get all of these supplies at the Michael’s Arts and Crafts store at the Shoppes at Blackstone Valley.  Once you have the supplies, it’s really easy to make!  You can even buy plastic pumpkins from Michael’s if you want to reuse your pumpkin.

1. Paint two coats of your base coat on your pumpkin.

Source

2. Once your base coat dries, it’s time to have some fun!  At this point, you can draw on your pumpkin with your puffy paint!  There are options to use glow-in-the-dark or regular color.  Some of our favorite designs are below!

Source 1, 2 

If you don’t want to splurge on puffy paint, you can always just paint your pumpkins!

Source 1, 2

We hope you enjoyed this DIY!  We would love to see any of the creations you make so be sure to tweet us or tag us on Instagram.

Happy creating!

Alexis is a student at Clark University studying Spanish and Political Science. When she's not at the library you can find her watching Netflix (probably Bones or The Office), on the elliptical, on KJP's instagram, or reading the news. She's passionate about politics, travel, and fashion. Her goals for the future include getting a job after graduation and trying to live the ideal New England lifestyle. Alexis is very excited to be a new Campus Correspondent along with Annabelle Merlin. HCXO!