Culture > News

Details on Michael Avenatti’s Domestic Violence Arrest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Michael Avenatti, the lawyer for adult film actress turned celebrity Stormy Daniels, has been arrested on suspicion of felony domestic violence. He rose to prominence by painting himself as a champion of women. A report of the alleged abuse was filed this past Tuesday, a Los Angeles police spokesman said. 

Stormy Daniels, whose real name is Stephanie Clifford, sued Donald Trump for defamation after he denied her assertion that she had a sexual encounter with him in 2006, but her lawsuit was dismissed by a federal judge last month. 

“We can confirm that today LAPD Detectives arrested Michael Avenatti on suspicion of domestic violence. This is an ongoing investigation and we will provide more details as they become available,” the LAPD Twitter account posted Wednesday.  

“I wish to thank the hard-working men and woman of the LAPD for their professionalism they were only doing their jobs in light of the completely bogus allegations against me,” he said in the statement. “I have never been physically abusive in my life nor was I last night. Any accusations to the contrary are fabricated and meant to do harm to my reputation. I look forward to being fully exonerated.” 

“I am not going to be intimidated from stopping what I am doing,” Avenatti told reporters Wednesday evening. “I am a father to two beautiful, smart daughters. I would never disrespect them by touching a woman inappropriately or striking a woman.” 

TMZ first reported that Avenatti’s estranged wife filed a report with the LAPD after the alleged incident occurred on Tuesday. Yet in a statement, attorneys for Avenatti’s estranged wife contradicted TMZ’s report, asserting that she was not present in Avenatti’s apartment on the date of the alleged incident. 

His law firm is now getting evicted. 

Julia is a recent graduate of Clark University who loves reading, writing, and entertainment in any form. You can usually find her obsessing over a new show or movie. She shamelessly loves pop music and pop culture in general and her dog Izzie.
Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.