De-Stress in 20 Minutes or Less!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Spring Break is long gone, Spree Day is over, and so is your relaxed mindset. With a never-ending workload and summer still weeks away, it can be challenging to find a second to breathe, let alone relax. Here are a few quick fixes (all can be done in under 20 minutes!) to help you keep calm and carry on.

1.     Go for a run. Even if you’re not a marathon runner, if you push yourself through the hard part you’ll get the runner’s high and feel great. If you have the time, take advantage of it and get a thorough workout in that will leave you feeling accomplished and rejuvenated. If you’re short on time, a short jog (or even a walk) will relieve some stress and give your mind a well-deserved break. Put down your textbooks, grab your sneakers and get going!

2.     Paint your nails. This activity is relatively quick and simple, and a great way to give yourself a short (semi-productive) break. As you struggle to finish up that 10-page essay, at least you can look down and see bright, pretty nails and feel that at least one aspect of your life is put-together, no matter how small.

3.     Listen to relaxing music. This is a fairly obvious one, but don’t underestimate the power some soothing John Mayer (or whoever your go to artist is) can have on an overwhelmed mind. Better yet? Make a Pandora station based on this artist and keep it on as background music while you work.

4.     Another obvious stress release is yoga, but again don’t ignore this one. Attending one of Clark’s free sessions could clear your mind and give your body the stretch it needs before another long stint in the library. Don’t have time to attend a class? Search Hulu for some yoga videos you can do in your room, ranging from five to forty minutes in length.

5.     Whenever I feel overwhelmed, I make a list of everything I have to do, big and small. Then I immediately do one of the small items and cross it off. Cue instant feelings of productivity and accomplishment. This also helps me visualize how much I really need to get done, and prioritize what is more important and what can wait.

6.     Watch an episode of How I Met Your Mother. Or Modern Family, Friends, or whatever show you prefer. Choose any sitcom that will allow you to take a break, sit back and laugh for twenty minutes, then return to your books a little lighter than before.

A native of California, Caitlin is now a junior at Clark University in Massachusetts studying Psychology and Communications. She is the advertising manager as well as a contributing writer for her university's newspaper, and is involved in various other clubs as well. In addition, she works as a lifeguard and swim instructor. In her free time she enjoys going to sushi and Starbucks with her friends, listening to John Mayer, and swimming.