This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

A common phrase of “Rich people buy their way into the best schools” has brought attention in relations to the college admissions cheating scandal.

As the news brings updates about this scandal, it can be said that there were reports of 50 people charged in the criminal investigation by the name “Operation Varsity Blues.”

One of those 50 people was Lori Loughlin, the famous “Aunt Becky” from Full House. The claims are Loughlin and her husband agreed to pay bribes of over $500,000 to strengthen their daughter Olivia Jade’s chances of gaining admission in University of Southern California (USC).

Jade is a YouTube star with close to 2 million subscribers watching her weekly content. Jade has made statements saying: “I don’t know how much of school I’m gonna attend … I do want the experience of like game days, partying … I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know.”

The YouTube star has made other statements talking about USC and how she feels about college in her GRWM videos and vlogs.

This news has raised eyebrows and concerns but my question is, why are people surprised? Jokes about the rich buying their way into the best colleges have been around for years but once this news came out meme’s and shock has grown concern. I say this should’ve been investigated a long time ago. I am glad it is getting coverage now but it is long overdue.

On Twitter different social influencers have voiced their opinions about this scandal. One that I resonated with and found particularly interesting is written by Clint Smith.

“Thinking about all the black, brown  and low income students who arrive at college and who are made to feel as if they don’t deserve to be there, while so many wealthy students have their parents essentially buy their way into these schools and rarely experience the same skepticism,” Smith said.

His words are self-explanatory and I couldn’t agree more a POC myself, this resonates with me.

As more news comes in I will keep an eye out for updates on this revolting scandal.

Joy is a senior at Clark University majoring in Management on a data analytics and marketing track with a minor in Community Youth and Education Studies. She loves going on road trips and spending time with family and friends. She enjoys trying various cultural cuisines (Indian food is her favorite **Chicken saag with a side of naan please**) and has an obsession with going to Morocco.
Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.