A Bitter to Sweet Rant: “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

For the past couple of weeks, everybody’s social media platforms have been flooded with clips, edits and memes of the characters, “Laura Jean” and “Peter Kavinsky” from the new Netflix Original movie, “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before”, that came out on August 17th, 2018. A fandom has emerged and the hype to watch this film has been flaring. Last night, my friend Erin and I decided to have a girls night and thought it would be the perfect watch to end our night. From the looks of it, I was mentally preparing myself to cry, scream, yell and relate heavily. One hour and 39 minutes go by and the movie is over. I have felt nothing. I did not cry, I did not laugh, I did not smile, I did not ooze in gooey oozyness. Instead, I felt confused, conflicted and bothered. Here is why.

I felt that every single second was corny and way too predictable. Erin and I were so underwhelmed and could not comprehend what all the hype was all about. Usually, when Netflix originals get this much attention and promotion it’s trustworthy but this time I felt greatly disappointed.

I was upset and bitter at the fact that this movie was getting highlighted as the romcom of the year and making young woman my age gawk at such a played out, “love” story.

To critique a love story is to each its own and leads us to ponder into the broad question which is, “What is love?”

Why has the media shaped us all to desire the same, sappy love? I’m disgusted.

I get it, Peter Kavinsky was cute and all and a gentleman but are we forgetting about his original intentions? To use a girl that he knows has feelings for him to make another girl jealous? I was turned off from the jump. A man full of selfish games, no thank you.

I felt scattered. I have been able to identify more substance in other movies, portraits, paintings, music, and people.

As we come to a conclusion, you may have noticed that this movie made me feel a certain way.

SO, maybe this movie was not that horrible? I did feel something when watching it, just unusual feelings when watching a romcom. It made me feel numb and confused, as the movie slightly addressed the gray areas in falling in love.

Before you allow yourself to stick your toe in the water of love, there are endless self-doubts that run through your brain endlessly. In “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before”, Laura Jean is a pretty reserved girl in high school who prefers her circle small, and who prefers to watch movies with her little sister on Friday nights rather than going out. ((ME)) She fantasizes about love all the time and the “what could of been”. Laura Jean eventually lets Peter know that she has strayed away from dating, by telling him, “The more people you let into your life, the more that can just walk right out.” Peter puts the dots together and realizes this might have to do with Laura Jean losing her mother to death.

It’s always important to address each other’s traumas and how it can influence our behavior. The complicated twists and turns Peter and Laura Jean go through together remind us that love can come in messy and unexpected ways- but it is always worth it. I’ll admit it, it’s defiantly worth a watch. 

Julia is a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Clark University. She is currently a sophomore who is pursuing a bachelor's degree in International Development, along with a minor in Education and a concentration in Africana Studies. Julia aspires to travel the world and all it encapsulates. When she is not writing for Her Campus, Julia can be found in nature, listening to music, indulged in a good book at a local cafe or drowning in her coursework at the library.