element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Best Freeform Christmas Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Thanksgiving has passed and to me, that means Christmas time has arrived!  That’s always the way it has been for me growing up.  The weekend after Thanksgiving my mom and I would put up the tree and decorate our house full of reds and greens.  Freeform, formerly ABC Family, definitely agrees with the post-Thanksgiving Christmas cheer!  Earlier in the month, they started the countdown to Freeform’s 25 Days of Christmas.  I look forward to the countdown every single year!  They pick such a diverse range of feel-good Christmas movies to play as we countdown to the big day- December 25th!  You can view the schedule of movies here, but if you odn’t have time to watch them all (especially during finals) let me recommend my favorites on the list!

1. Elf

I know Elf for Christmas isn’t exactly groundbreaking, but let’s all be honest, it’s a must-see!  To be honest, I already watched it this season (before Thanksgiving) on Freeform.  Luckily, they air it multiple times during the month of December so you have plenty of chances to watch this classic.  Or you can always borrow it from me, I have it on VHS.

2. The Polar Express

Another classic!  I have loved this movie since the first time I saw it, at the movie theater with my 3rd grade class.  Incidentally, I also peed in my best friend’s mom’s car that night but that’s unrelated.  This movie is super underated in my opinion.  It’s emotional, the graphics are beautiful, and it reminds us of the importance of believing.  What more could you ask for?  Plus, I loved Tom Hanks.

3. Santa Claus Is Comin’ to Town

Okay, I know this is old school, like really old school, but it’s everything!  This was initially released in 1970 and I only know of it because Freeform always plays it.  I think it can be off putting because of the old school animation and simplistic movie style, but it’s so great!  It tells the wonderful story of how Santa Claus came to be!  If you have never seen it, I highly recommend you give it a chance.

4. The Year Without a Santa Claus

This is another old school movie I love!  It tells the story of what happens the year Santa cancels Christmas because he gets sick.  The songs are amazing, the story is so cute, and I really like the old style of animation.  Honestly, I’m also obsessed with the Miser Brothers- Snow Miser and Heat Miser.

5. Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas

I know this movie is SUPER hit or miss!  I love it but I know many people hate it or think it’s creepy.  It’s my all-time favorite!  It’s funny, the graphics are amazing, and I just love Mr. Grinch.  I make everyone I know watch this movie with me and I can recite it word for word.  Thankfully Freeform is coming through and playing it multiple times this season.

Merry Christmas Season, collegiettes!

Alexis is a student at Clark University studying Spanish and Political Science. When she's not at the library you can find her watching Netflix (probably Bones or The Office), on the elliptical, on KJP's instagram, or reading the news. She's passionate about politics, travel, and fashion. Her goals for the future include getting a job after graduation and trying to live the ideal New England lifestyle. Alexis is very excited to be a new Campus Correspondent along with Annabelle Merlin. HCXO!