The Best and Worst of Times: A Look Back on First-Year Move-In Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

As we find ourselves packing up our lives yet again to move back to school, it’s hard not to reminisce on the very first time we made the big move to college. Yes, I’m talking about freshman year move-in.

Besides the daunting challenge of deciding what to bring and what not to bring, many of us were also faced with being on our own for the first time. We were preparing to meet our new roommate, whom we secretly hoped would turn out to be our best friend, and attend the college of our dreams. Don’t get me wrong; first-year move-in day was great, but it was also one of the most chaotic moments from freshman year. Here’s why:

You are one student among several hundred others trying to move boxes, bags and suitcases up crowded stairwells, down narrow hallways and into already small rooms. Of course, it is also normally about 90 degrees and dorms do not have air conditioning. Upperclassman who so bravely volunteer to assist with moving all of your stuff are helpful to say the least, but the slightest fear that something will fall and break or a bag will be misplaced somewhere between the car and your room still lingers.

Once everything was in the right place, you ask yourself: “What is the best way to set up the room? What side should I take? Where is my soon-to-be roommate? Who are my neighbors? How am I going to live in this small room?” As these questions stay in your mind, your parents stay in your room. Looking back, I’m glad I let my mom help me make my bed, put away my clothes and figure out the best way to utilize the space in my room. I’m also glad my parents wanted to hang around; it was the first time they were leaving me on my own knowing I had officially made it to college. For them, things would never be the same. Talk about a roller coaster of emotion!

Next comes orientation. Clarkies are lucky (or maybe not so lucky) because orientation begins the same day as move-in. This certainly increases anxiety, but it also forces you to be immediately thrown into college life. The excitement of your newfound independence and adulthood outweighs any fear,  and before you know it you’re in the Kneller surrounded by the people you will share the next four years of your life with. Looking around at all the new faces, you realize this is it; you’ve made it. But this is only the beginning. As the welcoming ceremony ends, you’ll say goodbye to your family, which is not an easy feat. Through choked back tears, the goodbyes and the I love yous, you’ll be left standing there by yourself just like that.

But that day isn’t over yet! Once PA groups are formed, you’re automatically surrounded by other students just as eager to make friends as you are. A blessing and a curse, you are stuck with your PA group for endless ice breakers and group sessions for the next four days. This isn’t always a bad thing though because they are some of the first people you’ll meet in your new home.

Once it’s all over, if it hasn’t happened already, you’ll meet your roommate and experience the relief of finally getting it out of the way and being able to sleep after a very long day. Lying in your twin-size bed surrounded by brick walls, the day finally catches up to you. First day move-in goes by in a blur of fast-paced activity and a whirlwind of emotions.

Everyone has a different college experience, but it’s important to remember that you’re small fish in a big pond. You may be insecure at first, whether it be about making friends or doing well in your classes, but you should embrace this new chapter of your life. My first move-in was one of the biggest milestones of my life. No amount of preparation can leave you feeling like you’re not going to mess up. In the end those small mistakes and discoveries make for one memorable experience.

Emily is an undergraduate student at Clark University studying Political Science with a subfield in International Relations and pursuing a minor in education. On campus she works for the ITS Help Desk and volunteers whenever she can. Outside of school life, Emily enjoys running, reading, writing for Her Campus, and spending time outside whenever possible. She loves indie music, Game of Thrones, House of Cards, and spending time with her friends and family. Emily is very happy and excited to be a part of Her Campus and connect with others!