Behind the Scenes with CMT President, Michela Tucci

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

This week we sat down with Michela Tucci, a senior from Redding, MA to learn more about her life as a ‘techie’ with Clark Musical Theatre!

To start, can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

I’m a senior Sociology major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Technical Theater. Perhaps the biggest thing I’m involved with is Clark Musical Theatre (CMT). I used to stage manage for them but now I’m the president of the club and I basically live in the theater.

What do you do as president of CMT?

Mostly coordinating between the executive board and stage management to make sure the show runs smoothly. For each show, we hire an outside director and music director and the executive board is in charge of the hiring process.

What got you passionate about theatre?

My 6th grade production needed a spotlight operator and somehow I got the job. I got sucked into the awesome community that theatre builds. The job itself is a lot of fun, but the people and community you work with are the important part. The community outside of hobby theatre and the classroom has offered me a lot of support and opportunity for things like internships. Over the summer I was the gender parity task force liaison at StageSource, which merged my sociology interest, dealing with gender inequalities and theater. Theatre provides a lot of opportunity for people with different skills and talents to bring a variety of their passions to the table.

What exciting projects does CMT have on the horizon?

We got into a mode where we had just been auditioning and doing our own shows and now we want to get more involved on campus and with other groups. On February 16th and 17th we have auditions for our spring show, Heathers. Its kind of Legally Blonde meets Mean Girls plus some murder on the stage. The show will go up the end of April. Then, on February 24th at 7:30pm  we have our spring Cabaret. Whether you’re in CMT or not you can sign up to preform a song, it’s just a chill night.

Outside of theatre what are your favorite things about Clark?

I love that I can go to anyone and strike up a conversation about any topic and they will just go with it. Even if they knew nothing they’d be eager to learn and ask questions and if they knew a lot they’d be interested in talking with me. It’s a very friendly community.

What is your advice for people interested in getting involved in theatre at Clark?

Get on all three email list (Clark University Players Society, Clark Musical Theatre, and the department email list) and then just go for everything! Audition and submit applications. You might not get the exact part you want but it shows that you’re interested and you’ll likely get a different part or get it the next time. You’ll be a part of a really awesome community who will help you grow and if there is an area you want to learn more about, someone will be willing to teach you so you can succeed in the future. Don’t be hesitant, just go for it!

Thanks for the interview Michela!

Jess is a Senior at Clark University who hails from Detroit, Michigan. She spends her time at college studying Psychology and Culture Studies & Communication, and trying to get involved in everything she can on campus! Jess wears a number of hat's around campus such as, President of the Student Activities Board, Co-President of Radio of Clark University, an intern for the Student Leadership and Programming Office, waitress at Annies Clark Brunch, and the Events Director for Clark's chapter of Her Campus! In her spare time Jess enjoys listening to music, reading, exploring Worcester, and spending time with friends!
Kelly is a student at Clark University pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Cultural Studies and Communications with a minor in Business Management. When Kelly is not in class, you can find her working in the Education Department at The Hanover Theatre, teaching Zumba classes and dancing her heart out with Clark University's Dance Society. Her favorite color is pink (especially Her Campus pink!) and she loves everything monogrammed. Kelly enjoys spending time with her friends, family, boyfriend, and two adorable cats. Kelly is thrilled to be a new Campus Correspondent alongside one of her best friends, Ciara Kilian. Follow along with her on Instagram and Twitter @kellrour HCXO!