Ava Duvernay's A Wrinkle In Time Is Here

Book and film lovers rejoice: A Wrinkle In Time finally opened on March 9.

A self-described feminist and activist, Ava Duvernay was selected by Disney to become the first woman of color to direct a film with a budget over $100 million.

Based on writer Madeline L'Engle's novel first published in 1962, A Wrinkle In Time follows the story of Meg Murry and her brother Charles, who have been without their scientific father for 5 years- ever since he discovered a new planet and used the concept known as a tesseract to travel there. Guided by three mysterious astral travelers known as Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who and Mrs. Which, the children go on a dangerous journey to a planet that possesses all the evil in the universe. Watch the trailer for the film here.

In the week of its release, the film has been received with mixed reviews. Some have said that it is not faithful enough to its source material, and others that it is an empowering message to young girls everywhere. That, in my mind, overpowers any nitpicky details the movie misses from the novel.

I mean, the visuals are simply stunning.

It's got Oprah, Mindy Kaling, and Reese Witherspoon- all vocal advocates for the growing #MeToo movement. They have their own Barbies from the movie now, which is pretty cool. The star power is off the charts, and they all look fantastic! Who could ask for more?

Konbini/Mattel

Catch A Wrinkle In Time in a theater near you!