Athletic Director Trish Cronin Scores Major Points in Her 6 Years at Clark

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

We were lucky enough to sit down with Trish Cronin, the Athletic Director here at Clark. She graduated from Kentucky State University with a degree in biology, and is a certified athletic trainer. Read on to find out more about Trish and Clark Athletics!

Could you give us a brief description of what you do as the Athletic Director here at Clark? What is your role on campus?

I think it’s to create not only a productive athletic environment and culture, but also to blend the athletic culture on campus. That is my main goal here. I work to elevate competitiveness within the varsity programs, but I’m also always looking for avenues to engage the campus in athletics and recreation.

How long have you been working in athletics? How long have you been here at Clark?

I started working at Salve Regina in 1990 as an athletic trainer, and spent most of my career there. I’ve been at Clark for 6 years. Two years ago, I became the Athletic Director, but I originally came in as the assistant athletic trainer for Greg White, and worked my way up from there.

Athletics are clearly a big part of your life. Have they always been?

Athletics have always been a part of my world. In high school, I was a 3-sport athlete. I came out of high school with a basketball scholarship, switched in and played volleyball instead. I got into athletic training because I got injured, like many other athletes, and making those connections with other athletes on a different level became my life.

Since you’ve been at Clark, what has changed within our Athletic Department? Have you played a role in any of these changes?

Since I’ve been at Clark, there’s been a lot more collaborating across campus, aiming towards breaking down those cultural divides across campus. I’m open to how we can lessen the gap between students and student-athletes, but it’s going to take everybody. People enjoy athletics or recreation and I think it’s just a matter of bringing everyone together.

As student athletes, it’s hard to ignore the Clarkie/Cougar divide on campus. How do you think we could work to break this divide?

I think any way that we can do outreach can help to lessen the divide. Programs like Midnight Mayhem, the Pride basketball game, having different clubs do things at half time to help incorporate groups on campus in our athletic events. Inviting these clubs might lead to more students coming to events to support their friends, also the student-athletes.

How have you worked to integrate the athletic department on campus and within LEEP, and how do you intend to do so in the future?

Everything you do as athletes is LEEP. All of the skills, individually, socially, on the team are building LEEP skills. Being able to communicate with different diversities on a team will help you in every aspect of your life. The skills you learn on the court- adapting, communication, leadership- can all be applied to the classroom and the workplace. My hope is that coaches are talking with their athletes about opportunities to study abroad and get internships. I hope that our program is dynamic enough that athletes are able to engage in opportunities like such in their off seasons. I’ve also been working with the LEEP Center, and I would love to sponsor a LEEP project if a student or student-athlete had an idea about integrating athletics or recreation with something else in any way. In the past, I’ve worked with women and sports programs, and this year I’m working with 2 students to create a sustainable volunteer program for student-athletes with the Boys and Girls Club in Worcester. Hopefully this can be another avenue to invite other groups on campus that involve working with kids and younger students to engage in athletics and recreation.

What improvement or achievement in our Athletic Department are you most proud of?

I’m really pleased with the upgrades on the turf fields. That has really allowed everyone on campus to use the fields. We have also extended the hours of the Dolan Field House and added a proctor so that students can use the fields and have the lights on, even after the varsity teams leave.

What is the most rewarding part of your job?

Meeting with you guys! I love working with athletes and students on a 1 to 1 basis and being able to connect with them. I also enjoy having the ability to put ideas into motion to make this a better program.

What is your favorite sport to watch?

Any sport that has energy, where there’s a crowd and enthusiasm- that gets me going. Of course I have preferences as a college volleyball and basketball player, but I’m not opposed to a field hockey game, and I’m not exactly a die hard soccer fan, but I can definitely appreciate both sports.

Thanks, Trish!

Gaby is an undergraduate student at Clark University majoring in Sociology with a concentration in Race and Ethnic Relations. On campus, she is a goalkeeper on Clark's field hockey team, a mentor and member of the curriculum team for All Kinds of Girls, and a volunteer for Youth Outreach- Worcester. When she's not worrying about school, she enjoys spending time with her friends, listening to music, and catching up on her favorite Netflix shows (specifically Jane the Virgin and How to Get Away With Murder). Gaby is very excited to be a part of the Clark Her Campus team!  
Oliva is an undergraduate student the Clark University studing Envroinmetnal Science on a 3/2 Engineering track for Columbia University. On campus she is a foward for the field hockey team and an outfeilder for the softball team. In her free time she enjoys catching up on novels and tv shows when not studing. Some of her favorite shows include Once Upon a Time, House of Cards, Bones, and Arrow. Olivia is extremly happy to be a part of the Clark chapter of Her Caampus.
Kelly is a student at Clark University pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Cultural Studies and Communications with a minor in Business Management. When Kelly is not in class, you can find her working in the Education Department at The Hanover Theatre, teaching Zumba classes and dancing her heart out with Clark University's Dance Society. Her favorite color is pink (especially Her Campus pink!) and she loves everything monogrammed. Kelly enjoys spending time with her friends, family, boyfriend, and two adorable cats. Kelly is thrilled to be a new Campus Correspondent alongside one of her best friends, Ciara Kilian. Follow along with her on Instagram and Twitter @kellrour HCXO!