Anna Schultz-Girls Laughing Hanging Out With Puppy And Computer
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

American Girl Dolls From My Childhood, Ranked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Every year around this time (since I was six years old), I can’t help but get excited over theexpectation that I will be receiving an American Girl Doll for Christmas. Now listen — I have notreceived an American Girl Doll since 2010. Yet for some reason, the excitement of unpackingmy very last “Girl of the Year” doll Lanie® nine years ago has stuck with me. Yes, I was that girlin elementary school whose life revolved around American Girl dolls. I am still very proud of thisand it is how I would like to be remembered for years to come. And since we’re approaching thetime of the year when my nostalgia for unwrapping American Girl books and accessories is mostpotent, I thought it would be only fitting to rank the American Girl dolls from my childhood.Please note that my complete obsession with American Girl started to dwindle once I startedwearing a real bra and crying over boys who didn’t notice me (things have been going downhillsince), so I will not be ranking the dolls who premiered past Julie Albright (with the exception ofMelody Ellison, who I did not know about previously but after doing my research I have decidedthat she seems chill as hell and deserves a spot on this list).

Kit Kittredge

Kit Kittredge was (and still is) my favorite American Girl of all time. I think most peoplewould agree that Kit deserves first place, and if you don’t, then I’m not sorry. Kit was byfar the cutest and most adventurous American Girl there ever was, and she will alwayshold a very special place in my heart. Here are just a few reasons why Kit deserves thecrown for Best American Girl:

1.She wants to be a reporter, and even has some of her works published in the Cincinnati Newspaper, which is chill as hell. We love a queen with ambition!

2.Her family literally opened their home to strangers to live in during the Great Depression. How generous!

3.That haircut, the freckles, and those outfits are literally iconic. I may or may nothave cut my hair to a bob just like Kit’s for my first trip to the American Girl Store(I did).

In conclusion, Kit has always been a fan favorite, and she deserves it. I went throughthis weird phase in third and fourth grade where I was so invested in learning about theGreat Depression because of Kit that I started paying attention in history class. Inconclusion, I owe my academic success to Kit.

Joesfina Montoya

Josefina was undoubtedly the sweetest and most talented American Girl there ever was.She gardens, makes music, helps other people and animals, starts a weaving businesswith her sisters, and learns how to read and write. She absolutely rocks the side braid,and wears some of the cutest outfits ever. Her entire personality basically revolvedaround being a sweetheart, which is why I think she deserves second place on this list.

Julie Albright

In fifth grade, I had the Nintendo DS game “Julie Finds a Way” and I could never getpast a certain level so I stopped playing forever. However, this does not influence myopinion of our 70’s queen Julie Albright at all. Julie is the one doll that I always wanted but never had the courage to ask for as a Christmas gift for some reason. She seemedtoo cool. She literally wanted to run for president when she grew up! Are you kiddingme? That’s awesome. However, after visiting the American Girl website to write this list, Iwas upset to learn that most of the original outfits are no longer available (to myknowledge. If you know differently please let me know ASAP).

Kaya of the Nez Perce

Kaya is the coolest girl of the Pacific Northwest and there is absolutely nothing anyonecould do or say to convince me otherwise. When trying to gain a little bit of respect forherself, she gets the insulting nickname of “Magpie” from other members of her villageafter a horse racing mishap, and then later she sort of accidentally gets her sisterskidnapped (whatever girl, it happens to the best of us. Don’t sweat it too much). Thenshe literally guides herself back through the wilderness unscathed and still has to worryabout the stupid nickname. I think it’s time we all gave Kaya the recognition shedeserves.

Felicity Merriman

Felicity: An American Girl Adventure​ was my favorite movie up until this year basically(okay I’m kidding — up until ​last​ year). Felicity Merriman was a colonial queen with someof the most beautiful dresses I have ever laid my eyes on to this day. After a politicaldisagreement with her friend Elizabeth, the two are able to sing a song together andmake-up, which isn’t really realistic but admirable nevertheless. Felicity was also coolbecause she just wanted to be independent, (both in a colonial sense and an “I want toride this horse that does not belong to me” sense). Again, we love an ambitious queen.

Melody Ellison

I did not know who Melody Ellison was until I started making this list because she wasway past my time (…yet here I am at twenty years old making this list…), but if she hadbeen around when I was younger she definitely would have been one of my favorites. Ifyou’re not familiar with Melody, she is a civil-rights era character with some of the cutestoutfits ever and her own recording studio. Melody sings and builds a community gardenwith her friends, which automatically makes her one thousand times cooler than me.

Addy Walker

Oh, your favorite doll lived in a mansion? That’s cool. Addy and her mother literallyescaped slavery! Addy is another character that I always thought was severelyunderrated, especially her story. Not to mention she was a champion at spelling, jumprope, and just being awesome. She is by far the smartest American Girl, and I think it’stime we all start recognizing Addy for the courageous hero she is.

Kirsten Larson

Kirsten’s prairie style is simply unmatched. I don’t think I appreciated Kirsten as much asI should have when I was younger, but now that Prairie chic is a thing, I am realizing howcool Kirsten really was. You could definitely find her original outfit at Anthropologie in 2019. But really, Kirsten is worth the recognition for a lot of different reasons. First, she’sfrom Sweden, which is really cool. Second, she literally learns sign language with aNative American girl that she meets by a stream and then has trouble deciding if sheshould move into the village with her new friend Singing Bird, which is not really relatable but very admirable. Finally, she saves her father during a blizzard when he hurts his leg. A hero.

Molly McIntyre

There are two types of people on this earth: Those who had Molly and loved her andthose who thought she was annoying for some reason. I was the latter up until fairlyrecently, when I realized that Molly’s “look,” which for some reason I despised as a fourthgrader with strange and superficial taste would actually make her really cool now (thoughI did really enjoy her movie). The joke was on me all along! I have decided that Molly isactually cool because reading her stories really did teach me a lot about WWII, and shewas determined to do her part, even as an eleven year old.

Samantha Parkington

Yes, I am aware that “Samantha was your favorite! She was the OG American Girl! Ilove her! Wahhh!” I’ve heard it all before, and I am aware that this is a hot take, but in myopinion, Samantha simply doesn’t deserve a top spot on this list. I’m not saying I hateher, I just don’t care for her as much. Here’s why: She seems very entitled to me. I knowshe was orphaned, but she was immediately raised by her wealthy grandmother, or“Grandmary” (I am rolling my eyes right now). While she does have some redeemingfactors that must account for why so many of you love her so much, in the end I thinkthat it’s her turn at the bottom of the list.

Emily Dean is a junior at Winona State majoring in MCOMM Journalism and minoring in creative writing.  She enjoys reading and writing as much as possible and loves telling stories to anyone who will sit and listen.  School is her current passion and she loves writing about campus events with the school newspaper. She loves thrifting for books and clothing and is a sucker for vintage fashion and great deals. She loves cat anything and can often be found pinning kitties on pinterest. In her free time you can find her at home with a good book, a cup of coffee, or watching the latest on Netflix. She’s a strong advocate for individualism and loves meeting new and exciting people.  After college she’d like to start writing novels and someday be able to write freelance
Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.