yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

7 Non-Spooky Movies To Watch This Halloween Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Halloween is almost upon us. If you’re anything like me and not a huge fan of jump scares, gore, or horror in general but still want to get in the spooky spirit, here are some films that will hopefully do the trick- and are a lot more fun to watch!

1. Hocus Pocus

Hocus Pocus follows a trio of witches who get resurrected by a teenage boy in Salem, Massachusetts. While it wasn’t a critical or commercial success when first released, it’s now become a cult film largely from airings on Disney Channel. Catch it at the University Park this coming Friday at 6 pm.2. Halloweentown

Another Disney Channel original flick and favorite of 90s kids everywhere, Halloweentown focuses on a young witch who helps save a town full of supernatural creatures and is the first of four equally fun charming films. Halloween is COOL!

3. The Rocky Horror Picture Show

In this cult classic, sweethearts Brad and Janet discover the eerie mansion of Dr. Frank-N-Furter and later meet a houseful of wild characters. Rocky Horror is always blast, so be sure to join CUFS for it’s annual screening of the movie on the 27th. Come in at 9:30pm to take pictures, play games, and participate in a costume contest all leading up to the movie starting at 11!

4. Edward Scissorhands

Tim Burton’s unique visual masterpiece isn’t for everyone- it’s bizarre plot revolves around an isolated man with scissors for hands. While this film is dark, it’s also heartwarming and extremely touching. Give it a shot.

5. The Nightmare Before Christmas

The Nightmare Before Christmas allows you to enjoy the best parts about Halloween plus all the cheer of the upcoming holiday season. A charming watch any time between now and December!

6. Ghostbusters

Who ya gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS! This fun 80s tale never gets old. If you haven’t seen it by now, there’s no better time!

7. It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

Who doesn’t love Charlie Brown? This classic animated tv special first aired in 1966 and has been a cherished Halloween tradition for many ever since. Catch Charlie and the gang on cable soon or online.

Julia is a recent graduate of Clark University who loves reading, writing, and entertainment in any form. You can usually find her obsessing over a new show or movie. She shamelessly loves pop music and pop culture in general and her dog Izzie.
Annabelle is a Senior at Clark University, finishing her undergraduate studies in Business Management, and starting her MBA studies in the 5th year accelerated degree program at Clark. She loves fashion, photography, and writing!