bread food plate light 669729jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bread food plate light 669729jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Pexels

6 Reasons why I Don’t Care for Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Everyone appreciates having a few days off every now and then, especially in preparation for the upcoming storm of finals that is ahead of us. Most people call this “Thanksgiving Break,” but for someone who has never really cared for Thanksgiving too much, I just see the next few days as an extended mini-vacation at home. Here are 6 reasons why I could basically take or leave the Thanksgiving holiday:

Turkey is really not that great.

Seriously, I don’t understand what the big deal is about Thanksgiving turkey. I’m not even a vegetarian and I still would prefer to fill up on sides than pretend that I’m enjoying eating some random bird.

The dinner conversation will likely turn political (and chances are, not in a good way).

It’s nice to be able to see your family, especially those who come from far away and you don’t get to see very often. However, sometimes it’s also nice to pretend that your whole family is voting for Bernie instead of listening to a great-aunt talk about why she wants another four years of Trump.

Someone will probably invite you to their former high school’s football game.

Fun for some people, not for me!

It’s literally so much work!

Days and hours of cooking and cleaning just so your guests can stay in one room for most of the evening. And for some reason, your mom will ask you to clean your room, too.

If your family is like mine, the incessant sound of the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade is almost too much to bear along with the preparation for guests.

Seriously, who is watching this? I’m not!

And finally, the entire tradition of Thanksgiving is based upon colonialism and lies.

It’s really nice to dedicate an entire day to be thankful and spending time with the people in your life that you love. But what isn’t nice is the real history of Thanksgiving and the horrible treatment imposed upon Native Americans by early European settlers that is rarely depicted over the traditional “friendly” view of Thanksgiving.

With that being said, I am still excited to go home and see my family and eat some really good mashed potatoes and pie.

Emily Dean

Clark '22

Clark U '22!
She is a Junior and majoring in International Development and Social Change. PC: Rose Wine Photography