5 Spring Break Books You Must Check Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Today may be Clean Out Your Bookshelf Day, but make sure you don’t toss these five books before Spring Break.

Here’s Her Campus Clark’s Spring Break book recommendations:

1. Every Day by David Levithan

This book is going to be turned into a movie and is actually released this week. Every Day is a New York Times bestselling novel. It’s about a teen, A, who wakes up every morning in a different body. Each day, A lives like the new person. Each day is a new adventure. Each day A lives with the motto of never getting too attached. That is until he met Rhiannon. It’s a book that will stick with you.

2. One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus

One of Us Is Lying is written through multiple narrators. The book begins with Simon, the high school’s genius behind a gossip app, which consistently ruins his peer’s lives. He plans to expose four students’ secrets Tuesday morning: Abby, the beauty; Bronwyn, the brain; Cooper, the athlete; and Nate, the criminal. But when the four exposé topics are all in detention Monday and Simon doesn’t make it out alive, they become suspects in their peer’s murder. This book will have you on your toes. There are twists and turns throughout it that are unexpected. It’s a quick read, perfect for a short break.

3. Turtles All the Way Down by John Green

While I wrote about this book in its own articles, I still highly recommend it for a Spring Break read. The novel is about Aza, who struggles with anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder. Aza and her best friend Daisy learn a local billionaire has gone missing and go on adventures to find him. This book is not a normal Sherlock-Holmes-search. The friends deal with their own problems as well as relationships. John Green did a great job in his fifth solo novel.

4. Yes Please by Amy Poehler

I don’t usually like autobiographies. They bore me. But, surprisingly, Poehler’s did the opposite of that. I read straight through her autobiographical book filled with laughs, personal stories, and real advice. Poehler, who is well known for her roles on Parks and Recreations and Saturday Night Live, is a lively voice on and off the page. Poehler covers every subject, from virginity to gal pals. Yes Please doesn’t read like it was written by a celebrity; it’s more personal than that.

5. Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

The New York Times Bestseller takes place in the mid-20th century in a Stalin repressed world. Lina and her family are deported from Lithuania and taken to a labor-camp in Siberia. The novel follows Lina and the perils she faces. While there is a history component to Between Shades of Gray, don’t worry if that’s not your thing. The fictional novel is sprinkled with mystery, fear, love, and sadness. Lina is a strong character, and the scenes can easily be imagined. You will definitely become engrossed in this novel.

Happy reading!

Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.