jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Essential Tips for the Solo Female Traveler

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

After a long semester of work, papers and exams, summer break is finally here. College kids have about 3 ½ months to do whatever they want, and one of the ideal ways to spend that time is traveling. Many college women often find themselves traveling alone, whether it’s because plans with friends fell through or they wanted to explore a new part of the world on their own. If you find yourself traveling along this summer or even while studying abroad, don’t feel discouraged. Traveling alone is an amazing, exhilarating experience that teaches you a lot about being independent. But, there’s a lot for you to think about. To help get you started, here are 5 essential tips for all solo female travelers:

1. Plan everything

Obviously you’ve already planned out the fun aspects of your trip, like the activities you’ll be doing or the restaurants you’ll eat at, but it’s also important to plan out even the smallest, most boring parts of your trip, such as how you’ll be getting from the airport to your hotel/hostel (and vice versa) and how much money you can spend. Also, do some research to see if any tourist attractions in the area give discounts or city passes.

2. Be careful with your possessions

Whether you’re walking around town or unpacking your bags in your hostel room, be sure to keep your most valuable items hidden away in a purse. If your hotel/hostel has lockers available to rent, take advantage of them. Also, it would be wise to make copies of your credit/debit cards, passport (if applicable) and driver’s license and bring them along, just in case.

3. Don’t party too hard

Don’t hesitate to go out at night, go clubbing or take part in a pub crawl, but it’s important to be smart about it. Even if you’re going out in a group with other hotel/hostel guests, don’t drink so much that you won’t be able to take care of yourself. Know your limits with alcohol and don’t leave your drink unattended to for a long period of time.

4. Pack lightly

This may seem obvious, but in my experience I’ve seen plenty of other young women traveling with too much luggage filled with clothes they’ll never even wear. Unless you’re traveling for longer than a few weeks, try to limit yourself to one carry-on suitcase and a small handbag. Doing so will make getting on and off a flight much easier and overall, you’ll have less stuff to carry around.

5. Be smart with your money

Create a budget for yourself on how much you can spend on food, shopping, tourist attractions, etc. Always keep an extra 20-40 dollars (or whatever currency you’re paying in) in your wallet in case you can’t use your card. And don’t forget to call your credit/debit card company or bank beforehand to let them know where you’ll be traveling in the coming weeks! 

Safe travels, collegiettes!

Caroline McCarthy is a senior at Clark University pursuing a Bachelor's degree in English. She is originally from Brattleboro, Vermont. When not writing English papers, Caroline spends her free time with friends, messaging her younger brother, cooking, shopping and watching movies.
Kelly is a student at Clark University pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Cultural Studies and Communications with a minor in Business Management. When Kelly is not in class, you can find her working in the Education Department at The Hanover Theatre, teaching Zumba classes and dancing her heart out with Clark University's Dance Society. Her favorite color is pink (especially Her Campus pink!) and she loves everything monogrammed. Kelly enjoys spending time with her friends, family, boyfriend, and two adorable cats. Kelly is thrilled to be a new Campus Correspondent alongside one of her best friends, Ciara Kilian. Follow along with her on Instagram and Twitter @kellrour HCXO!