4 Ways to Give Thanks This Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

With all of the negativity that has come out of the recent election, it can be hard to recognize anything good or hopeful going on in our lives. The month of November starts the “season of giving” by focusing on giving thanks in the days leading up to Thanksgiving. If you’re having a hard time focusing on the good lately, here are 4 ways to help you give thanks this season.

1. Keep a Journal – While it sounds simple, keeping a journal can be very helpful when trying to sort out your thoughts. Take 5 minutes each day to write down something that you are thankful for. It could be as simple as “I am thankful that I have a comfy bed to sleep in tonight.” You’ll find that taking the time to actually write things down helps you to reflect.
  2. Focus on Saying “Thank You” More Often – While this seems very obvious and simple, we could all improve in this area. Verbally giving thanks is one of the best ways to show that you’re thankful for something or someone. Even small things, like when someone holds the door for you on your way into class or offers to carry something for you, warrant a verbal “thank you!” Being mindful of how often you are saying “thank you” will help you focus on being grateful this season.
  3. Write a Thank You Note – In this day and age, hand written sentiments are few and far between. Taking the time to write out a message of thanks can go a long way in telling someone you’re thankful for them. Even if you leave a sticky note on your roommate’s desk saying, “Thanks for doing the dishes! I really appreciate all you do!” it will go a lot farther than you think. Seeing that someone took the time to write a personal message is enough to brighten anyone’s day.
  4. Use Your Actions – We often brush off the old saying “actions speak louder than words,” but there is much truth to it. One of the easiest ways to show you’re thankful for someone is through your actions. Maybe your co-worker covered a shift for you at the last minute and you want to show them how much you appreciate them. Giving them a $5 gift card to Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks is a small and simple way to show them you’re thankful.

What are you thankful for, collegiettes?

Kelly is a student at Clark University pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Cultural Studies and Communications with a minor in Business Management. When Kelly is not in class, you can find her working in the Education Department at The Hanover Theatre, teaching Zumba classes and dancing her heart out with Clark University's Dance Society. Her favorite color is pink (especially Her Campus pink!) and she loves everything monogrammed. Kelly enjoys spending time with her friends, family, boyfriend, and two adorable cats. Kelly is thrilled to be a new Campus Correspondent alongside one of her best friends, Ciara Kilian. Follow along with her on Instagram and Twitter @kellrour HCXO!