The 11 Types of People You See at Boston Calling Music Festival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Last weekend, September 25th-27th, Boston Calling took over City Hall Plaza. There is definitely a lot to see and hear at music festivals and Boston Calling was no exception. The music was fantastic and the audience was a strange mix ranging from children to middle aged fans. When it comes down to it, there is nothing like the kinds of people that show up to music festivals. Here is who you’re most likely to run into…

1. The Drunk Person: This is typically a girl who has just had a tad too much to drink. She can be super fun to be around when she’s dancing with no inhibition but sometimes she takes it a little too far…

2. The High Schoolers: These kids usually travel in large groups and when they are not complaining, they can be found taking selfies or yelling excitedly about something. 

3. The Actual Hipster: OG hipster right here. They knew about all these bands before they were popular and they’ll make sure that you know it. 

4. The Parents: Shout out to the mature attendees of Boston Calling who have great taste in music. Some even bring their adorable children. #goals

5. The VIP ticketholders: They often flaunt their VIP status by wearing their lanyards around their necks.

6. The Groupie: This person stands hours on end to get in the front row for their favorite band and they know every word to every song. You will probably see them crying at some point during the set.

7. The Poseur: This person can be spotted in the back of the crowd mouthing the words to a song (they don’t really know the real lyrics). They came to see the headliner and are trying to keep up for the rest of the concert.

8. The Couple: The couples at concerts range from too much PDA to super cute. The cutest of them all was the couple that got engaged during Alabama shakes!

9. The Social Media Addicts: They can be found updating all of their social media accounts and recording the entire set on their phone to post later. 

10. The Tall Person: This person does not care if you can see the concert and are often at odds with the short person who is thinking: “at least they sound good live, because who knows what they look like.”

11. The Performers: The best are the ones with so much charisma they get the whole audience dancing. (Shout out to Misterwives)

Ultimately these are the people that make it such a unique experience. You may even find yourself in one of these categories! Embrace it and know that it’s okay to be weird in public, especially at a music festival.

Isabelle is a student at Clark University, who has declared as a Cultural Studies and Communications major and a minor in sociology. She is a yoga instructor at Clark, as well as the manager for the Clark Field Hockey team. She has a deep love for sea turtles, the free people Instagram account, and card making. When she isn’t procrastinating school work she can be found on the sidelines of Clark athletics events, or hanging out with friends and family. Isabelle is really excited to be a contributing member of the Her Campus team. 
Kelly is a student at Clark University pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Cultural Studies and Communications with a minor in Business Management. When Kelly is not in class, you can find her working in the Education Department at The Hanover Theatre, teaching Zumba classes and dancing her heart out with Clark University's Dance Society. Her favorite color is pink (especially Her Campus pink!) and she loves everything monogrammed. Kelly enjoys spending time with her friends, family, boyfriend, and two adorable cats. Kelly is thrilled to be a new Campus Correspondent alongside one of her best friends, Ciara Kilian. Follow along with her on Instagram and Twitter @kellrour HCXO!