etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Items to Add to Your Summer Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

The wait is finally over. The last of your papers have been turned in, you’ve taken all your final exams, and grades have been posted… it’s officially summer! Whether you’re returning home for some R&R, starting an internship or job, or taking off on a new adventure, you have almost four glorious months to look forward to. Making a bucket list is a great way to make sure that no matter how you’re spending your summer you make the most of every minute. Check out our top 10 items to make summer 2017 one to remember!

1. Paddleboard: This watersport was all the rage last summer. I didn’t totally understand the craze – until I tried it myself. Caution: you may wipe out a few times before you totally get the hang of paddle boarding, but as long as you don’t mind the water, it’s definitely worth it. See if you can find a place to rent a board or even take a class to get started.

2. Watch a sunrise or sunset: There’s nothing like a mid-summer sunset. Find a new or original place to watch the horizon this summer. I live in the White Mountains and one of my favorite summertime activities is taking a short sunset hike with a bottle of wine.

3. Drive-in movie: Nothing says nostalgia like a drive-in movie. There’s something special that I can’t quite put my finger on about this experience. Grab some friends, pop some popcorn and the back of your car and you’ll have a night to remember.

4. Visit a new city or state: Summer is the perfect time to hop in the car and explore. Even if you’re on a budget, visiting a new city or state for the day or weekend is small enough that it won’t break the bank, but exciting enough to earn this activity a spot on our bucket list.

5. Go night swimming: Everyone knows night swimming is more fun than swimming during any old day. The water is calm and quiet, and you’re illuminated by the moon. On a hot summer night, there’s no better way to cool down and make memories.

6. Fireworks: If I had to pick my favorite thing about summertime, fireworks would definitely be a contender. See how many days in a row you can watch a display around the 4th of July, search out a show at a different time, or (if it’s legal in your state) light your own!

7. Visit an arcade on a rainy day: Rainy days during the summer can feel like a drag, but don’t let the day be a wash. Head to your local arcade and embrace your inner child with some games. Skee-ball anyone?

8. Watch a lightning storm: There is really nothing in the world like watching a thunder and lightning storm during the heat of the summer. Once you’ve made sure you’re safe from the elements, head to your porch or window to watch the sky light up.

9. Play flashlight tag: Grab your friends from high school and organize flashlight tag in your local park. Now that you’re in college those strict curfews are no longer so strict, meaning you’ll have a night of fun to remember with old friends.

10. Farmer’s market: A sure sign of summer in my town is the Farmer’s Market starting up again. Check your area to see which days your local market is up and running. There’s nothing like fresh fruit and vegetables during the summer. My favorite is fresh corn from a local farmer thrown on the grill!

No matter what’s on your bucket list, collegiettes, we hope you have a great summer! See you in the fall!

Haley is a student at Clark University studying Management with plans to pursue an MBA. On campus you can find Haley working as an assistant in the President's Office, or dancing (like nobody's watching!) with Clark University Dance Society. Beyond campus she loves her cat, her cousins, and chocolate. Her favorite color is pink, and she could watch The Mindy Project for days. Haley is looking forward to being a part of the Her Campus Clark team!