This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

We all have our favorite local places, but in a city as big as Worcester it can sometimes be difficult to find the little shops and cafés that are truly one of a kind. From vintage thrift shops to locally sourced cafés, Worcester is full of unique and awesome places to spend time. Whether you’re looking for somewhere to shop or sit down with a cup of coffee and catch up on homework, Worcester has a place for you. Check out these top 10 hidden gems of Worcester to find your new favorite local spot that is bound to impress newcomers to the city! 

1. Grime

Grime specializes in offering new and used clothing for guys and girls with tons of vintage and unique pieces. You can sell and trade clothes you are trying to get rid of and they have a 20% student discount on Tuesdays. Check them out on Instagram @grimeclothing or www.grimeworcester.com to see some of the cool pieces they have!

Location: 356 Shrewsbury Street, open Monday through Saturday 11am-7pm and Sunday 11am-5pm.  

2. BirchTree Bread Company

“Artisan breads, delicious pastries, and specialty coffee.” This is the place to be on a Saturday or Sunday to listen to live music, have a cup of coffee and enjoy some delicious homemade bread. BirchTree makes their breads with all natural ingredients and has fresh bread baked daily along with specialty breads and coffee sourced locally from Acoustic Java. Be sure to check them out at www.birchtreebreadcompany.com or @birchtreebreadcompany on Instagram.

Location: 138 Green Street Suite 5 right off of Kelley Square. Open Tuesday – Friday 7am-5pm, Saturday 8am-6pm, and Sunday 10am-3pm. 

3. Canal District Farmers’ Market

The Canal District Farmers Market is a great place to get locally sourced produce, meat, eggs, milk and goodies such as soaps, coffee and jams. If you are trying to eat organic and local year round this is a great and relatively cost effective way to do so! It is conveniently located in the same complex as BirchTree Bread Company, so be sure to grab a bite to eat and walk around the market on a Saturday morning. You can find more information about the vendors and products at www.canaldistrictfarmersmarket.com or their Facebook page.

The farmers market is held everyday Saturday morning from 9am-12pm year round and in July and August from 4pm-7pm. Located at 138 Green Street, the market is held in an indoor space during the winter and outside in the summer.

4. Nu Café

If you’re looking for fresh smoothies or juices post workout, or a relaxing place to get some work done with a cup of coffee, Nu Café is a great option. They have delicious sandwiches, wraps and salads and even offer quinoa bowls and java alternatives like green tea lattes. Wednesday and Thursday there is live music from 6-8 pm. Fridays are open mic nights from 6-9pm, and on Mondays students can get 10% off with a college ID. Nu Café is a local spot you are sure to come back to! For more info on Nu Café check out their website www.nucafe.com.

Located at 335 Chandler Street. Open Monday-Friday 7am-10pm, Saturday 8am-10pm and Sunday 9am-8pm.

5. Bushel ‘N Peck

“Nutritious and delicious products at affordable prices…the Bushel way!” This is a quick and easy place to grab a sandwich, wrap or salad. You can also pick up prepared foods like chicken or mac and cheese. They offer generously sized portions for low prices, and the food is very tasty. With multiple locations, we are lucky to have 2 located right in Worcester!

One is located on 643 Chandler Street and the other at 7 E Mountain Street. Their daily specials and hours vary based on location so be sure to check them out at www.bushelnpeckdeli.com.  

6. Mac’s Diner

Mac’s has delicious homemade Italian food and a great ambiance for a dinner with friends! Located at 185 Shrewsbury Street, Mac’s does not have a website so be sure to check out their Facebook page for their daily specials and hours. Even though it appears small and understated on the outside, the food and environment is sure to leave you wanting more! 

7. Armsby Abbey

Known for their weekend brunch, cheese plates and tapas-like dishes, Armsby is a great place to grab a bite to eat. Armsby is 21+ after 6 pm every day so be sure to stop in for lunch or a mid-day snack! Armsby constantly offers special brunches and events, all of which you can find more info about on their website www.armsbyabbey.com.

Located at 144 Main Street, they are open daily. 

8. Allergic to Cubicles

While not your typical vintage clothing store, Allergic to Cubicles has the largest selection of vintage jerseys, snapbacks, jackets, button ups and t’s in Worcester. The perfect place to find an awesome gift for a sports fan, Allergic to Cubicles mainly carries men’s apparel.

Located at 335 Chandler Street and fairly new to business, this shop is a haven for vintage sports apparel so be sure to give them a look! More info can be found on their Facebook page.

9. Crust Artisan Bakeshop

Crust is a small, local bakeshop that offers homemade breads and baked goods all made in in house along with a selection of locally sourced products from the region. While crust doesn’t have much seating, it’s a great place to grab a coffee and pastry on the go! For a sneak peak or more info take a look at their Instagram page @crustbakeshop.

Conveniently located at 118 Main Street and open everyday 7am-3pm, be sure to check out all the goodies Crust has the offer.

10. Crompton Collective 

Crompton Collective is a self-described “curated boutique marketplace,” but is much more than that. Crompton is full of truly one-of-a-kind vintage and antique pieces along with small displays from local vendors. With all kinds of crafty and decorative items, it is easy to spend hours in Crompton looking at all the amazing stuff they have and even easier to find something you want to buy.

A great place to find a unique gift or decorative pieces from you room, Crompton is located in the same complex as BirchTree Bread Company and the Canal District Farmer’s Market at 138 Green Street. They are open every day except Monday and Tuesday. To catch a glimpse of what Crompton has to offer and learn more about them, check them out on Instagram @shopcrompton or on their website www.cromptoncollective.com.

These selected hidden gems of Worcester just begin to scratch the surface of all the great places the city has to offer. If there is one thing I’ve learned while living in Worcester, it’s that you can’t be afraid to explore! I would have never discovered these places had I not taken the time to step off of the Clark campus and experience the city first hand. So please, for your own personal enjoyment, check out these places! Whether it is a quick stop in for a coffee, an hour spent doing work, or some leisurely shopping; you will not be disappointed.

For more information on any of these places, including the best time to go, how to get there, or recommendations feel free to contact me! 

Emily is an undergraduate student at Clark University studying Political Science with a subfield in International Relations and pursuing a minor in education. On campus she works for the ITS Help Desk and volunteers whenever she can. Outside of school life, Emily enjoys running, reading, writing for Her Campus, and spending time outside whenever possible. She loves indie music, Game of Thrones, House of Cards, and spending time with her friends and family. Emily is very happy and excited to be a part of Her Campus and connect with others!
Kelly is a student at Clark University pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Cultural Studies and Communications with a minor in Business Management. When Kelly is not in class, you can find her working in the Education Department at The Hanover Theatre, teaching Zumba classes and dancing her heart out with Clark University's Dance Society. Her favorite color is pink (especially Her Campus pink!) and she loves everything monogrammed. Kelly enjoys spending time with her friends, family, boyfriend, and two adorable cats. Kelly is thrilled to be a new Campus Correspondent alongside one of her best friends, Ciara Kilian. Follow along with her on Instagram and Twitter @kellrour HCXO!