Types of Sex You Have at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clarion chapter.

College is everyone’s time to discover themselves… literally and figuratively. No matter which way you think of it, it’s inevitable that you’re going to have at least one sexual experience in college. You’re young and you’re in your prime. There most likely won’t be another time in your life where you’re surrounded by so many people your own age experiencing the same things as you. Chances are, you’ve had quite a few experiences with sex – some of them great and some of them not – but they’ve been learning experiences. No matter how you’re doing it, there’s an important thing to remember: your hookups do not define you. It doesn’t matter how many partners you’ve had or how you’ve done it, as long as you are practicing safe and responsible sex.

The first time

It’s a lot different than you imagined it being, and not at all how movies depict it. You’re extra careful about using protection (not a bad thing!) and spend a lot of time positioning yourselves. It’s cringey and slightly uncomfortable, but hopefully you both laugh about it after.

The Tinder hookup

You’ve been eyeing someone up in your Bio class and you find them on Tinder one day. You swiped right and so did they. It doesn’t matter who messaged who first, only that the conversation got hot fast. You agreed to meet up one day after class, and that weekend you do the deed. It’s not as good as you thought it would be, but you end up doing again a few times just for fun.

Drunken Sex

There’s a guy you bonded with at the bar, and maybe you had a steamy make out sesh on the dance floor that lead one of you going home with the other. Drunken sex is pretty good at leaving you feel satisfied in the morning, because sometimes a one-night stand is just what you need. As long as you’re in a safe environment, drunken sex can result in some pretty great nights and maybe some good stories.

Sex with an ex

If you’ve dated someone on campus, chances are you’re going to run into them somewhere. After a few drinks at a party one night, the both of you engage in some seemingly innocent flirting. You both feel comfortable with each other and one thing leads to another… Beware the sober confrontation in the morning.

The awkward one

There’s this one person that you’re sort-of-but-not-really friends with.  You’re not really sure if you think they’re cute if you’re just horny because you haven’t been laid in a while. Either way, you end up having sex. It’s awkward and not good at all, and all of your friends find it funny (after they make sure you were safe). You just know that you’re just going to have to avoid that person for the rest of your college career.

Phone sex

Don’t lie, you’ve done it. Sexting, Snapchatting, DMing on Twitter- it all counts. You never met up with the person to “do it” but you didn’t need to. You’re sending sexts and nudes and all kinds of signals, but no matter how many messages you want to keep, be careful and make sure to cover your tracks. You don’t want anyone (especially your mother) snooping through your phone and finding those dirty messages!

The experiment

Sometimes you just need something different and exciting. You want to get tangled (literally) in the craziness of everything while feeling every sort of pleasure imaginable. This is your “let loose” experience, and you’re doing things that are dirtier and crazier than you’ve ever done. In the midst of your upside-down or “where does that go?” moments, take a minute to make sure your partner is as comfortable and is enjoying it as much as you are.