sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Top Haunted Houses in Pennsylvania to Check Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clarion chapter.

Halloween is coming up next month which means it’s time to start thinking about what haunted house to go to. I try to go to one every year. There are so many out there and you should try to see as many as possible so you can determine the good ones and the bad ones. Here’s a list of some of the top haunted houses in Pennsylvania you should check out this upcoming Halloween!

1.  Pennhurst Asylum

Pennhurst Asylum, located in Spring City, opens the weekend of September 22 and runs every weekend to November 4. It includes attractions such as the Dungeon of Lost Souls, the Tunnel of Terror, the Mayflower Building, and Ghost Hunters and Ghost Adventure shows.

2.  Terror Behind the Walls

Terror Behind the Walls is actually located at Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia. This haunted attraction has been featured on the television shows Ghost Hunters and Ghost Adventures. It opens September 22 and runs through November 11.

3.  Reaper’s Revenge

Reaper’s Revenge is located in Scranton. It includes a Haunted Hayride, Lost Carnival Attraction, Pitch Black Attraction, and Sector 13 Attraction. It opens September 22 and runs through November 4. 

4.  Ghost Lake: 13 Levels of Fear

Ghost Lake, the largest Halloween attraction in the world, is located in Conneaut Lake. Its 13 Levels of Fear include The Beginning of the End, 13 Rooms, 3D Carnival of Fear, Demon House, Purple Haze, Van’s Doll House, Scarecrow’s Revenge, Haunted Hotel Conneaut, Panic House, The Darkness, Roadside Clowns, Devil’s Den, and Blue Streak Ghost Coaster. Ghost Lake opens September 22 and runs through October 29.

5.  Arasapha Farms

Arasapha Farms is located in Glen Mills. This attraction includes a Haunted Hayride, Bates Motel, and Revenge of the Scarecrows Haunted Trail. It opens September 22 and runs through October 31.

6.  Field of Screams

Field of Screams is located in Mountville. This attraction features aH aunted Hayride, Den of Darkness Horror Barn, The Frightmare Asylum Haunted House, and The Nocturnal Wasteland Haunted Trail. Field of Screams also features a Zombie Fun Run 5K that takes place on November 11. Field of Screams opens September 15 and runs through November 10. 

7.  ScareHouse

ScareHouse is located in Etna. This attraction features The Sunset Lodge (which is new this year), Infernal, Nocturnia 3-D, and The Basement (for those 18 and older). ScareHouse opens September 15 and runs through November 4.

8.  Jason’s Woods

Jason’s Woods is located in Lancaster. It features attractions called Horrifying Hayride, Chamber of Horrors, Zombie Apocalypse, Lost in Jason’s Woods, and Carnival of Fear. It opens September 22 and runs through November 4. 

I am someone who loves haunted houses and attractions so Halloween season is one of my favorite times of the year! I have only been to one of the attractions listed, which was Reaper’s Revenge, and it was amazing. I would love to see all of Pennsylvania’s top haunted attractions and would recommend for any fellow thrill seekers to check them out as well!