This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clarion chapter.

I remember being in elementary school and thinking about all of the possibilities of where my life could go. There were many career days that gave children a look into the lives of adults who had their life figured out. Over the course of my nineteen years being alive, I have had many ideas of the career I would have when I grew up. At age 5 I wanted to be a professional dancer dancing for an amazing company in New York. When I turned 10 I started looking into law. I had watched many crime shows with my mother and thought about being a lawyer. They would get to argue (which I was and still am very good at) and made a lot of money depending on what department of law they chose. I stayed with this career up until I started watching Grey’s Anatomy. Watching that show led me to understand what I truly wanted to be. The show is about a group of surgeons and their everyday lives.

Binge-watching the show was something that I looked forward to everyday. Watching the surgeries and the doctors saving people’s lives was an amazing thing. I realized that I loved to help people. I started looking into the surgical field of medicine. I would get to operate on people and try to save them. Their life would literally be in my hands and just imagining that brought me excitement. Grey’s Anatomy was not the only factor of me wanting to go into medicine, my mom also played a HUGE role. My mom has been a nurse for 20+ years and watching her my whole life has changed how I look at the world. For the later part of her career my mom has been a hospice nurse. She goes in every week and checks on her patients to make sure they are comfortable and doing okay in their last days. Watching her dedicate her time and mostly her heart to her patients made me want to help others like her. Day in and day out my mom goes above and beyond the expectations of the job requirements. There have been many nights where she goes out at midnight because something went wrong with one of her patients. When they need her no matter what she’s doing, she’s going to make arrangements to make sure they are helped. Many of the families of her past patients still call her occasionally to see how she is doing.

Seeing how much people in medicine have an effect on others made me want to join the community. Coming into college, I had my heart set on being a surgeon, but after further research, I realized that that path was not for me. Halfway through my freshman year I started considering being a podiatrist. A podiatrist works with patients with foot and ankle problems. When I was young I used to give my grandparents foot massages and would always wonder about why their feet didn’t look like mine. That was when my interest in feet arose but I hadn’t even thought of that as a profession. Podiatrists are very important in the medical field because there are always people with foot problems. Not many people think about podiatry when their thinking of specialties, and because of that, there is always going to be a need for podiatrist. I just enjoy helping others and if I’m going to have a job, I might as well love it right?