This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clarion chapter.

March is National Women’s History Month, which means it is the perfect time to reflect on all the contributions of women to history and contemporary society. With that said, I wanted to list some of my favorite films that were directed by women, since movies are one of my favorite pastimes. Also, female directors have become more and more common over the years, and I think it is important to acknowledge that directing is not just a man’s world.

1. Beyond the Lights

Beyond the Lights was directed and written by Gina Prince-Bythewood, who also directed Love & Basketball and The Secret Life of Bees. The film follows Noni, a superstar singer who is fed up with the pressures of fame, and her journey to becoming the artist she was meant to be.

2. Riding in Cars with Boys

Riding in Cars with Boys was directed by Penny Marshall, who also directed A League of Their Own. The film follows Beverly, a singe mother, who aspires to become a writer. The events of the film include Beverly having her son at age fifteen, as well as the failed marriage to the father, who was a drug addict.

3. Clueless

Clueless was directed by Amy Heckerling, who also directed the next film on the list, Fast Times at Ridgemont High. The film follows Cher, a rich high school student, and the trials and tribulations she faces as an adolescent. 

4. Fast Times at Ridgemont High

As said before, Fast Times at Ridgemont High was directed by Amy Heckerling. The film follows various characters, and explores each one’s life, dreams, and problems as an adolescent. 

5. The Edge of Seventeen

The Edge of Seventeen was directed by Kelly Fremon Craig, sadly, this is her only directorial credit. The film follows Nadine, a high school junior, whose life is further complicated when her best friend starts dating her brother.

photo credit: hollywoodreport.com and IMDb.com

N/A