Let’s Talk About Sex

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clarion chapter.

Let’s talk about sex, baby!

Plenty of people have it. Sex is needed for reproduction and, let’s face it, for pleasure. When we are stressed, mad, happy or sad, sex pretty much is an instant solution to all of those emotions. But with great sex, comes massive responsibilities. We all hopefully learned about sex from the time we were younger up into our adulthood lives. But somewhere along the way, we can forget the important responsibilities that come along with sex.

One of the first things we were taught about sex was that it can lead to babies. Yes, babies, those crying, screaming, pooping, snotty little bundles of joy. We all know that as a result of unprotected sex, a little person can grow inside of you for 9 months and then pop out. Whether you want a child or not, sex is a one-way ticket to mommy town. Make sure you know what you want before having sex with anybody. You always have to take into consideration of the fact that accidents do happen and you could be signing your life away for 18+ years to raise a child, or face other options like adoption or abortion. Pro-choice up in here! Just understand that these decisions will need to be made if, and when, the time comes. Make sure that you are ready to make the call. If you are not able to, then you are not ready to have sex.

A big issue everyone seems to overlook about sex is STD’s. As college students, we have a wide range of sexual partners we can choose from, but know that any partner you pick, also, has a wide range of sexual partners to choose from. Protect yourselves. Not every STD or STI is curable! Make sure that you are using a condom every time. The condom is not the guy’s responsibility. Ladies, you can buy female condoms for yourselves. If you do not want to go that way and just want a normal condom for males, then make sure you’re prepared with one. It is not always the other person’s responsibility to provide it. Plus, you do not want to run into the problem of nobody having it, killing the moment, and risking your personal health by forgetting about safety and having sex anyways.

I know these are all warnings we have heard before, but we need to realize that those warnings were given to us for a reason. Just because we are getting older and way lazier about things, does not mean that the meaning of the warnings diminish in any way. Sex comes with many emotions that complicate the situation. As I have said about sex being great for fixing a lot of emotional situations, it can, also, cause many emotional situations. Sex is a double-edged sword. Whether we want to believe it, or not, sex ties us emotionally to our partners. Even if we think it was just a one night stand, we can admit to feeling a tinge of jealousy when we find out the one night stand slept with someone else or is seen walking around closely to someone else. The people you choose to have sex with have seen you naked! They have seen you in a vulnerable state. When picking a sexual partner, just think about if you would want this person to see you when you are very vulnerable.

Sex is not meant to be practiced in a strict or loose way. There is no right answer as to who you should, or should not, have sex with. Just use your best judgement and remember that there are always consequences to your actions. You need to own upto your own actions and do what is best for yourself. Make smart decisions. Above all else, remember that NO means NO!