How to Create Your Own Decorative Banner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clarion chapter.

As a sorority woman, I find myself in many situations where I need to get a little crafty. Decorating tumblers and painting banners are among a few of my specialties. I know what you’re thinking, banners, really? Yes! A nicely painted, homemade banner is a great way to highlight any event or room. It is super fun and easy to do, and will save you money. However, like many other forms of crafting, banner making is its own art form, and it takes a certain amount of finesse to complete the project.  

Fret no more. Here are seven steps to making your own banner.

Step One

The first step to creating an amazing banner is to find a design. Typically, your banner will provide a backdrop for picture taking and become the center focus for the rest of your decorations. Therefore, you need to create a banner design that not only fits your theme, but your artistic abilities. Acknowledging your strengths and weaknesses will help you create a more polished looking banner. A great place to look for banner ideas is Pinterest. The site has thousands of different, unique themed banners to choose from.  Once you have a design, you can start to make a game plan.

Step Two

After picking your design, you will need to purchase your supplies.

You will need:

1. A twin sized flat sheet (that is the base color of your banner)
  2. Chalk
  3. Scotch tape
  4. Acrylic paint
  5. Paint brushes
  6. Paint palette
  7. Stencils
  8. Tarp
  9. Optional: Glitter, decorative flowers, gems, hot glue gun, etc.

Step Three

Next, you will need to find a space to work on your banner and tape it down so that it doesn’t move. Any flooring that you’re not afraid to get messy will work. I typically work on banners on a tiled floor because it is relatively easy to wash acrylic paint off it, but you could also paint your banner on top of a tarp or garbage bags. Draw out your design with the chalk. If you are not that artistic, you can always use stencils to help you with any lettering or designs. Stencils are a cheap and easy way to make your banner look more elegant, otherwise you can always freehand your design, both are fun! If you mess up, don’t worry. The chalk comes off with a little bit of water.

Step Four

Start painting your banner! Make sure you’re careful so that you don’t get excess paint on it. I like to move the palette along with me and to not raise the paint brush too high above the sheet, or too quickly. so that the paint doesn’t strip. Add glitter and other accessories where necessary.

Step Five

Be patient and take your time. Depending on the color of your sheet or your design, you might have to paint your banner in sections or do multiple coats of paint. Don’t rush the process. If necessary, take a few days to paint your banner. When it comes to banner painting, slow and steady wins the race – especially if you are working on it by yourself.

Step Six

After you have let your banner dry, peal your sheet off of the floor. Shake off any dirt or hair that might be clinging to it. Cut holes into the top left and right corners of the sheet so that you can use command hooks or rope to hang your banner up.

Step Seven

Unfortunately, you are also going to have to clean your floor after painting your banner. In my experience, the best way to clean your floor is to use dish soap, water, and a scouring pad. Once you have scrubbed the dried-up acrylic paint off of the floor, take wet paper towels and clean up the excess soap and paint.

With hard work and dedication, you will be able to produce a banner that you can be proud of!

To prove that I am a woman of my word, here are pictures of two of the banners that I have made. 

I made this banner for the front of a parade float that I co-designed with another organization’s float chair. 

I found this design on Pinterest and then replicated it for my own chapter’s Bid Day (aka Sorority Christmas) party. 

Rep Image: Next Day Blinds

Imarii is a junior Secondary English Education major with a minor in Spanish Language at Clarion University. Her hobbies are reading, crafting, and Facebook. You might catch her napping in the library or obsessing over bows. She is the secretary for the Tobeco Literary and Art Journal and the Sister Development Chair of her sorority Phi Sigma Sigma. She hopes to travel the world teaching English.