Breast Cancer Is A Beast, But So Are You!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clarion chapter.

Breast Cancer Awareness is more than a month.

All forms of cancer are selfish, heartbreaking, and relentless. Still, it’s difficult to forget October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. Between the television ads, pink football helmets, and “Save the Tatas” shirts, it’s hard to miss. However, as October comes to an end, it’s important to remember that breast cancer is more than a logo and a month of silly reminders.

According to BreastCancer.org, “About 1 in 8 U.S. women (about 12%) will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime.” Additionally, “breast cancer death rates in the United States are higher than any other form of a cancer besides for lung cancer.”  To put that into perspective, if there are 64 women in your dining hall at dinner time, of those 64, at least 8 of them are likely to develop breast cancer and potentially die.

While men can also develop breast cancer, they are 100 times less likely to develop breast cancer than women, notes the American Cancer Society.

For these reasons, it’s important to remember that October is not the only month that it’s important to care about breast cancer awareness and education. Breast cancer awareness and education needs to be done throughout the entire year because it’s not about “saving tatas” or pink pom-poms or anything of that nature. It’s about saving women’s lives. It’s about supporting and helping breast cancer patients, breast cancer survivors, and their loved ones. It’s about learning the early signs, knowing how to check for breast cancer and receiving pre-screenings.

It’s about finding a cureTherefore, raise money. Join a breast cancer walk or sponsor someone in it. Get educated and then educate others. Participate in campaigns such as the Clinique Take the Day Off Challenge (which raises $10 for the Breast Cancer Research Foundation with every video you post taking your makeup off during the month of October.) Your efforts matter and play an important role in eradicating breast cancer!

Regardless of how you bring awareness to this insidious disease, it’s vital that you be engaged, be active, be empathetic, and not just in October. This is an all year-round effort, and you just might help save a life.

#CliniqueDonates

#TakeTheDayOffChallenge

#PinkRibbon25

#CliniqueAmbassador

Imarii is a junior Secondary English Education major with a minor in Spanish Language at Clarion University. Her hobbies are reading, crafting, and Facebook. You might catch her napping in the library or obsessing over bows. She is the secretary for the Tobeco Literary and Art Journal and the Sister Development Chair of her sorority Phi Sigma Sigma. She hopes to travel the world teaching English.