Boyfriendless on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clarion chapter.

I really don’t like Valentine’s Day. This is because I never seem to have a boyfriend on Valentine’s Day. It’s been this way for years and years now, way too many to count. I feel like I am cursed when it comes to love. Not only do all of my relationships not last very long, they always start no where near Valentine’s Day and end before the holiday comes again. It’s a lonely and depressing day for me and many other singles.

I hate going on Facebook and seeing everyone post these gushy posts about their boyfriend or fiancé or husband and post all the flowers, chocolate, jewelry and stuffed animals they received. It just annoys me and makes me bitter. Valentine’s Day is the one day of the year where seeing couples will irritate to no end, so I usually don’t go out at all and will stay at home watching movies and stuffing my face with chocolate.

This year I’ll be working and most likely will be serving dinner to tables of couples. That’s fine. I feel pretty indifferent this year. After going through yet another breakup in July, I have decided to call it quits with dating for awhile. I have no interest in dating anyone anymore and don’t think that will change for a long time.

I’m sick of entering relationships and having them end so quickly after they start. What is the point in that? A week, a month, two months, three months…what is the point in a relationship that lasts that long? It’s laughable. I literally start laughing when I think about my dating history because it’s stupid. My love life is a history of one or two dates then nothing or a relationship that doesn’t last more than a few months. I’m done putting myself through the endless cycle of disappointment and heartbreak.

I’ve also come to the realization that I don’t even want to be in a relationship. I’m at a point in my life where I don’t even have time to date someone. I’m finishing my last semester of college, I’m at work all the time, and can barely keep up with cleaning my apartment and doing laundry. I don’t have the time to give someone and I honestly don’t want to have someone to make time for.

I just want to focus on myself and my goals, which doesn’t include having a boyfriend on Valentine’s Day. It simply isn’t important to me anymore. Plus, who needs a boyfriend when I have the cutest dog who’s my Valentine for the second year in a row? She’s my little girl, my shadow, my buddy and all the companionship I need on Valentine’s Day or any other day. She doesn’t disappointment me or rip my heart out, she’s just there to cuddle, listen and make me feel better. She’s a better companion than any guy.

So, this article is for you Jodie Skipper…Happy Valentine’s Day and thanks for always being there for me on holidays, birthdays, crappy days and good days! You’re the only Valentine I need.