Who Knows….The Sky’s The Limit for The Talented Emily Nicole Smith!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at City London chapter.

As Mozart by the age of four figured out his life purpose, singing was what would have made the precocious Emily Smith passionate about. Talking was too ordinary for her, that’s why she “couldn’t imagine a life without music!”

Since she could remember, she wanted to sing in order to express her pain and joy to the rest of the world. By that time, her artistic vein has grown stronger than ever. Now she is not only a part-time singer with her own YouTube Channel and a repertoire ahead but also a fashion blogger and an aspiring journalist!

You’ve got a really unique sound! When did you discover your passion for music?

I’ve been singing ever since I could talk, according to my parents. I used to plug a microphone into the sound system of the TV, put music channels and put on mini concerts for my mum and dad! I guess it’s been since then. I used to change what I want to be, from being a teacher to fashion designer to dancer, but I think I’ve always wanted to be a singer. I couldn’t imagine my life without music!

Tell us something about the first time you sang!

I’ve sung in choirs and school performances since I was in reception at primary school. But I think one of my memorable first performances was when I sang “Part Of Your World” from Disney’s The Little Mermaid. I love that song because it allowed me to not only act and sing but to be a bit playful as well. It’s the perfect combination!

My first singing teacher, who was also my class teacher, loved it so much that she got me to record it in her recording studio at her home: it was a great experience! I’ll always love that song!

I’ve noticed you mainly perform covering songs by other artists. Do you actually have your own repertoire?

Actually, I don’t have one. I’d love to but I’ve never really done my own concert or mini performance.  I’ve been writing for a long time but never put my music out in the world so I can’t wait to do that. In fact, I’ve been working on my own music, writing and producing at home so soon those will come to life and will become my repertoire!

What do you feel when you sing?

When I sing a song, I like to transport myself into the world of the writer: read their lyrics, try and convey what they were feeling. I then try to connect that to my own life and see where I can draw experiences and emotions. Positive and happy songs make me think of the best moments me and my family have spent together because that’s what lifts me up! When songs have more emotional power and meaning – a bit more on the sadder songs- I draw on areas of me that feel those emotions. I think it’s important to feel what you sing because it gives a better connection with your audience!

Which famous musicians do you admire most?

There are so many musicians out there that I admire, for many different reasons. I love artists that speak honestly and say what they want. Some of my favourites are Michael Jackson, One Direction, Meghan Trainor, Ellie Goulding, Ella Henderson, Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran & Sam Smith, to name just a few! Their journeys are so inspiring.

Who has inspired you in your life?

My parents are my inspiration! They’ve worked extremely hard in their lives to get to where they are. They’ve gone from having nothing to having everything and that has benefitted me in more ways than I know. They’ve always told my brother and I to follow our dreams!

You’re definitely an artist: singer, fashion blogger and aspiring journalist! However, if you had to choose just one of them, what would it be?

All three things are so important to me. They are different but at the same time, I can collaborate them. However if I had to choose one, as much as I love journalism and fashion blogging, it’d have to be singing. I would love to spend my life on stage making people happy with my music. This would make me happy!

Would you like to pursue a career in the music industry after your graduation?

Definitely! I’d love to try and see how far I could go with my music, to see if people would enjoy my music too!

Looking forward to her repertoire, check out her YouTube Channel, EmilyNicoleSmith, right here: https://www.youtube.com/user/EmilyNicoleSmith

And her Official Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/emilynicolesmithmusic?fref=ts