ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Summer Holidays: 5 Top Destinations You Shouldn’t Miss!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at City London chapter.

Summer is coming! Okay, maybe it doesn’t seem THAT around the corner yet, but we need to start planning something on time. And for something I mean our holidays, of course! Are you the beach type, or a city girl? Do you prefer chilling all day on the sand or grabbing a map and visiting a museum? Well, this is our top 5: a mix of big cities and seaside towns, where you can think of spending at least a few days of your beloved summer break!

1. Madrid: The capital of Spain is absolutely A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! No beaches (even though there are a good number of public pools) but I guarantee you won’t miss the sea. The city offers plenty to do and places to visit: take a day off just to go shopping on the Gran Via, eat tapas (as many as you can!) in one of the many bars and restaurants at Puerta del Sol and get yourself ready for the nightlife. Full of clubs (Pacha, Orange, Kapital – a seven floors club, just saying…) and pubs, you will fall in love with this city. And, of course, it is less expensive than London! 
  2. Brighton: If what awaits you is a summer full of internships or work and you can’t get too far from London, then why don’t you take a few days off and go to Brighton? Just 50 minutes far from the City, this lovely small town on the south coast might be what you are looking for. Never ending walks on the beach, a luna park on the docks and the best fish and chips I have ever eaten. Oh, and a good range of shops, of course! 
  3. Berlin: Surely more expensive than Madrid, but totally worth it. Berlin is not only the capital of Germany, but of culture too! If you are a history freak like me, you couldn’t help but fall in love with the Pergamon Museum. Indeed, situated on the Museum Island, it hosts monumental buildings such as the Pergamon Altar or the Market Gate of Miletus and the Ishtar Gate. And if you want to take a break from your intellectual trip why don’t you go to the oldest and best zoo in Germany – the Berlin Zoological Garden? I am pretty sure you can’t wait to see Bao-Bao the giant panda or have a chat with the Kaiser Penguins. 
  4. Gallipoli: I bet you haven’t heard about it yet, so let me introduce you to this small town situated on the west coast of the Salentina peninsula. Forget about Formentera and Ibiza: you don’t need to spend that much to enjoy a few days off on the best beaches. Turquoise-blue sea and golden sand, roads full of cafes, bars and restaurant, concerts and clubs: you will love the atmosphere, the people and of course the place. Highly recommended if you are a fresh-fish-dinner lover and if you like the Baroque culture. Lecce, the so-called ‘Florence of the South’, is just 20 minutes away. (P.S. inbox me if you are there, you know, it’s my town, I can give you the best tips!) 
  5. Zakynthos: This small Greek island is well known for its incredible clubs and non-stop nightlife. There aren’t monuments to visit, but boat trips awaiting you… And they are absolutely worth the price. Pointless saying that there is no such thing as the Greek sea, so if you are more of a beach type this is the place for you. Highly recommended if you are going with a group of friends. You will have a blast!

This is our top 5 my dear ladies… So what are you waiting for? Hurry up, start planning your amazing Summer 2014!!!

Pictures by VivereaMadridEdu-Factory, Ionion and Wikipedia

Irreverent journalist, creative head of Ciao Mamma!, polyglot writer and curious filmmaker. Originally from Italy, I made my way to the big city to follow my dream of becoming a reporter. I love art, politics, frogs and halloumi. Check out my website: www.ciaomamma.it Connect on LinkedIn: uk.linkedin.com/in/martinaandretta/