Summer 2014 Must-Watch Blockbusters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at City London chapter.

Get ready ladies, the summer season of blockbuster movies is upon us! I know that you all have deadlines and exams looming, but take a quick break and look through my recommendations for some films you can’t afford to miss this summer.  

1. Godzilla

A remake of the original film, Godzilla is back to take another swipe at destroying all of mankind. If you’ve seen any of the trailers so far, you’ll know this is a much more darker and apocalyptic reincarnation than the version starring Matthew Broderick, and that it looks to set up a whole new franchise. Starring Bryan Cranston, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Elizabeth Olsen, and Sally Hawkins, the film opens on the 16th May.   

2. X –Men: Days of Future Past

The hotly anticipated follow up to 2011’s X –Men: First Class is a time-traveling bonanza that sees the original cast of the early noughties movies teaming up with the new one. In this last episode the X –Men have to go back to the past in order to prevent a future that could prove catastrophic for humans and mutants. With stellar actors including Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan, Halle Berry, Hugh Jackman, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence and Peter Dinklage, you definitely do not want to miss them in action when the film opens on 22nd May. 

3. Neighbours  

Seth Rogen steps away from his role of loveable stoner loser to play the husband of his wife (played by Rose Byrne) and dad of their newborn baby, responsible of taking care of them after moving into a quiet suburban neighbourhood. A rowdy fraternity headed by Zac Efron unexpectedly moves in next door and a battle of will and wits ensues between them. Honestly, any comedy with Seth Rogen is bound to be hilarious, so run to the cinema ready to laugh out loud, as Neighbours has been out since the 3rd May! 

4. Maleficent   

Based on the villain of the classic Disney movie Sleeping Beauty, this film will explore the back-story of Maleficent and how she came to be one of the most fearsome women in the Disney universe. Angelina Jolie plays the titular role and teaser trailers have already excited the world over. This is the directorial debut of Robert Stromberg, who previously worked as a production designer on Alice In Wonderland and Oz the Great and Powerful. The movie has been described as a “horror/fantasy film”, and since Maleficent is known as the Mistress of All Evil let’s hope it does her justice. Fun fact: Jolie’s daughter Vivienne will be making her debut playing a young Aurora. The film opens in the UK on 28th May. 

5. Fault In Our Stars

Following the success of John Green’s book, this film adaptation is being eagerly anticipated by fans worldwide. A poignant, refreshing and witty take on a young teenage girl journey as she fells in love during her cancer therapy. The film stars Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort as the much quoted and loved Hazel and Augustus. A book that broke the heart of everyone who managed to make it to the end… Don’t miss it when this hits our screens on 20th June!

Are there other films you would recommend? Let us know in a comment!

Pictures from Imdb.com 

Irreverent journalist, creative head of Ciao Mamma!, polyglot writer and curious filmmaker. Originally from Italy, I made my way to the big city to follow my dream of becoming a reporter. I love art, politics, frogs and halloumi. Check out my website: www.ciaomamma.it Connect on LinkedIn: uk.linkedin.com/in/martinaandretta/