Summer 2014: 5 Trends that Fit in Your Suitcase

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at City London chapter.

Summer, we’ve been waiting for you! At last we can spend gloriously long days eating ice cream, reading, shopping and making up for all that time lost doing exams and coursework. However, I know how hard packing for your holidays can be, especially if you want to travel light. That’s why I made a list of 5 summer trends that you can’t absolutely miss… And that will all fit in your suitcase! So wherever you are going – Paris, Brasilia, Melbourne, Cairo or Boston – you’ll be trendy and ready for every adventure!

• 1. The classic white shirt with a twistA crisp white shirt is a staple that every girl should have hanging in her wardrobe. But for summer be daring and bold with white shirts that have been updated with transparent panels, cape details, asymmetric panels and added volume, as seen on the runways of Valentino, Victoria Beckham and Preen. For the high street versions check out Net a Porter or Mango. Perfect for every occasion, from the job interview to a cocktail in a classy bar, why not bringing it with you on holiday?
  • 2. Nineties slip dressesSlip style dresses with spaghetti straps are making a comeback from the nineties, a la Gwen Stefani. Effortlessly cool and oh-so-easy to accessorise, this dress is perfect for the sweltering hot days we’ve been promised this year. Team with Doc’s for the perfect festival outfit or with ballet flats for lunch with girlfriends. ASOS and New Look are the perfect alternative to the dresses seen on the runways of Max Mara, Helmut Lang and Cavalli. 
  • 3. The shift blouseTaking inspiration from the wonderful shift dress, the shift blouse is a little more structured and boxy in shape than the usual blouse, taking your look from relaxed to elegant with minimal fuss. You could wear it strolling on the boulevards, browsing some vintage markets or visiting a museum. Seen on the runways of Mulberry, Calvin Klein and Dolce & Gabbana in pretty pastels or moody monochrome, rock this look by shopping at ASOS or River Island.
  • 4. Anything-but-black biker jacketsA stylish and durable leather jacket that can carry you through all seasons is a must-have investment, but kick it up a notch this summer by playing into the ever present pastel trend. Buy one in baby pink, pale coral, soft lavender or sea foam green and bring it with you for the cold days. Paraded down the runways of Versace and Antonio Berardi, shop this must-have item at Topshop and Zara.
  • 5. Contrast colour collarsHaving contrasting colours on one item of clothing is nothing new, but this trend is definitely something that will catch everyone’s eye as you stroll down the street. The menswear shape shirt is updated with collars and cuffs in different colours, with added embellishments and even textures. If you’re going somewhere colder, it will match perfectly a blazer or revamp your internship outfit, as seen on Alexander Wang’s models or at ASOS and Polyvore.  

Which of these trends will you bring with you this summer? And why? Let us know in the comment section below! 

Irreverent journalist, creative head of Ciao Mamma!, polyglot writer and curious filmmaker. Originally from Italy, I made my way to the big city to follow my dream of becoming a reporter. I love art, politics, frogs and halloumi. Check out my website: www.ciaomamma.it Connect on LinkedIn: uk.linkedin.com/in/martinaandretta/