Spring/Summer 2014: 5 Must-Have Trends That You Can’t Live Without

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at City London chapter.

Finally the warm season is here, and we can dare to show off some (pale) skin. Despite the panic of the first sunny days (am I the only one to feel naked when I have to put on my spring clothes after a looong winter?), there are some trends we will easily get used to. Wearable, versatile, comfortable: once you will try them they will stay forever in your wardrobe. Keep reading and discover 5 S/S trends you shouldn’t live without!

1.     Full skirts:Ladies are back! This year the voluminous silhouette is here to stay. These tea-length skirts can be as modern as a mini, but it’s up to you to rock them! Complete your look with a cropped top, a jeans gilet, or a soft shirt. When it comes to shoes, wear a classy sandal to keep it smart, or go for some varnish brogues to give an ironic (and vintage) touch.

2.     PastelsA timeless classic for spring. This year mint green, lavender and blush pink are back in all their splendour. Perfect for every occasion, from work to an elegant date. Combine them with a brighter shade to create a colour-bomb, to a flower pattern to be as spring-like as possible, or to a neutral colour to give that “je-ne-sais-quoi” to your office look. You decide how pastel-high you want to get!

3.     Cropped jacketsAs announced by last winter’s trends, cropped jackets will occupy a special place in our wardrobes again this summer. They can be easily paired with body-con dresses, tailored trousers, office skirts and classic jeans. Pick the one you think will match the most items in your wardrobe: you won’t regret it.

4.     Wide-leg trousersChic, soft, light, just perfect for the hot season. Worried about your height? I know, it seems like only supermodels can wear them. But you only need to find a pair leaner on the flare and high-wasted to elongate your shape. You will rock them with studded heels and a crop top for a night out, but why not pairing them with a blazer? Super sexy or super professional!

5.     African prints and geometric patternsNot only squares, circles and lines, but Mondrian-inspired grids, brush strokes, illustrative portraits and animal prints. Bold, colourful, exotic: create an eccentric look by mixing textures and patterns, or remain more traditional by adding some simple wooden accessories. And remember the patterns golden rule: “two is great, three may be, but four no more“!

What about you? What is your favourite trend for S/S 2014? Is there something you can’t live without? Let us know in a comment!

Irreverent journalist, creative head of Ciao Mamma!, polyglot writer and curious filmmaker. Originally from Italy, I made my way to the big city to follow my dream of becoming a reporter. I love art, politics, frogs and halloumi. Check out my website: www.ciaomamma.it Connect on LinkedIn: uk.linkedin.com/in/martinaandretta/