Repairing Gadgets with The Restart Project at City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at City London chapter.

The Restart Project took over City University to support the spread of simple repair skills to broken gadgets.

Supported by City’s Green Dragons, Restart coaches set up camp outside the Oliver Thompson Lecture Theatre on Thursday 2 October to empower students, staff and the local community to use their devices longer and better in order to reduce waste. Participants were invited to bring their mobile phones and computers and to learn to fix them together with the Restart Project’s team.

During their first event at City Restart’s team helped Dy unblocking his smartphone and tweeted about it: “Dy’s smartphone had stopped making calls. We’ve helped him discover that his provider had blocked the phone by mistake”.

As part of their Restart Parties, the project aims to educate people on how they can fix a simple, repairable fault in a pair of headphones or a laptop, to avoid unnecessary e-waste. Restart Projects’s aim is to fight against the throw-away culture and “promote an economy based on repair, resilience and skill-sharing”, and that is the reason why their main target are the new generations. They tweeted: “We’re hoping City University can lead the way, that Restart Parties can spread with students, who have great needs – and skills to share!”.

The organisation is aiming to form a local team of Restarters at City, who will then start running their own events. If you missed the first Restart Party, check out when you can bring your devices to the next event:

• Thursday 9 Oct – Convocation Suite, Centenary Building10:30am – 12:30pm – Learn how to organise a Restart Party12.45pm – 4.45pm – Restart Party: bring a broken device and learn how to repair it with the Restart coaches 
  • Thursday 23 October – location TBC11am – 2pm – Help to run the first student and staff-run Restart Party or just bring a broken device and learn how to repair it

To find out more information you can visit their official website or follow them on Twitter.

Irreverent journalist, creative head of Ciao Mamma!, polyglot writer and curious filmmaker. Originally from Italy, I made my way to the big city to follow my dream of becoming a reporter. I love art, politics, frogs and halloumi. Check out my website: www.ciaomamma.it Connect on LinkedIn: uk.linkedin.com/in/martinaandretta/